Streetworks, licences and dropped crossings


Officers monitor and offer advice on working in the highway. Also, the permissions needed to protect contractors and members of the public whilst on the highway network. They make sure that business and individuals comply with legal obligations and work safely / efficiently, to minimise disruption.

The Streetworks team work closely with utility companies (Yorkshire Water, Transco, Northern Powergrid etc.), Police and bus companies. This is to make sure works are done efficiently with minimal disruption. Also that damaged apparatus is repaired as quickly as possible.

Road closures and diversions

The nature of some highway works, or some large deliveries, will require a road to be closed and an alternative route put in place. Road closures are managed by our Streetworks team, who will issue the necessary Traffic Regulation Orders to close a road, subject to the relevant charge.

During a road closure it is the responsibility of the applicant to sign and maintain the diversion route, which should be agreed with the Streetworks team, in accordance with chapter 8 of the: Department of Transport: Traffic signs manual .

To find out about roadworks in your area, see: Roadworks .


The current fee for a temporary road closure is £775.

How to apply

To apply for a temporary road closure, contact Streetworks with full details:


Contractors wishing to carry out an excavation in the adopted highway or footway within Calderdale will need to make an official application. They will need to hold full accreditation under the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) 1991 to work on the public highway.


Depending on the nature of the work, contractors wishing to excavate an adopted highway, or footway, need to apply for:

  • a 'Private Opener' licence (fee is £145); or
  • a 'Section 50' licence (fee is £290).

How to apply

To apply for a Private Opener or Section 50 licence, contact Streetworks with full details:



When placing a skip on the adopted highway, the Skip Company or supplier must apply for a skip licence. It must be the skip company who applies for the licence as they will hold the correct Public Liability Insurance.

The skip company is responsible for ensuring that the skip is correctly position in the highway so as not to cause an obstruction and that all other appropriate regulations are adhered to.

To apply for a license, or for more information, see: Skip licence .

If a skip is causing an obstruction: Report It .



In order to erect and maintain scaffolding, hoarding or other structures on or over the highway in Calderdale you will require a scaffolding license. It must be the scaffolding company who applies for the licence as they will hold the correct Public Liability Insurance.

To apply for a permit, or for more information, see: Scaffolding licence .

If scaffolding is causing an obstruction, or is dangerous: Report It .


Dropped crossings or kerbs

A dropped crossing / kerb is an area of lowered pavement and kerb. This is to give vehicles access from the highway, across the footway, to the resident’s driveway / hard-standing.

A dropped crossing constructed to Calderdale Council specification is required, if:

  • the occupier of any premises adjoining or having access to the adopted highway mounts the footpath or grass verge to park a vehicle on their property.

Anyone can apply for a dropped crossing / kerb, if the reason is to park a vehicle on your property. If you do not own the property, a permission letter will need to be sent from the owner / landlord. This must accompany your application form.

To apply or for more details, see: Dropped crossings FAQ .

You may also be interested in a H bar road marking .

It is an offence to drive over the public footpath without an approved dropped crossing / kerb.

Note: The above is for domestic dropped kerbs only. For a commercial or business premises, please contact:

H bar road markings

What is an "H bar marking"?
  • It is a painted road marking in the shape of an elongated 'H', which is sited across a vehicular crossing.
  • It is white and extends across dropped kerbs from where each starts to taper down to the road surface.

These can be useful for residents who experience problems with accessing and exiting their driveways. This may be due to vehicles regularly and persistently obstructing access to properly constructed dropped crossings / kerbs. The marking is provided solely to highlight the presence of your driveway to others.

Note: It is not always possible to mark the highway with an H bar marking.

Can they be legally enforced?
  • Yes. It can be enforced by our Civil Enforcement Officers (CEOs), but only if requested, in writing.

To request enforcement, contact:

If requested, CEOs issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) to vehicles parked partially or fully on the H bar marking. Note: This will also include your own vehicle(s).

If you park on your H bar marking, it devalues its meaning. Also, other drivers might think that you do not need access to your driveway.

Please note: We do not have the power to move parked vehicles.

Will I qualify?

There are strict criteria to be met before an H Bar Marking can be authorised. Before making your application, please consider the following:

  • You must have a properly constructed driveway onto the road. This means:
    • a tarmacadam construction across the verge / footpath, with proper dropper / quadrant kerbs either side of the driveway.
  • H Bar Markings will not be installed where:
    • an existing waiting restriction or prohibition is in force, on the opposite side of the road to the driveway;
    • Or roads are not listed as adopted by the Council. For a map showing adopted, mixed status and unadopted roads, see: Streets .

To ensure your application meets the criteria, an assessment will be carried out that includes a site visit.

Please note: We do not require you to attend the assessment visit.

How long does it take?
  • Once your application and fee (£100) has been received, it will take around six weeks to process.
  • We will notify you of the outcome and the anticipated installation date (if approved).
    • If approved, we will ask you to pay the installation fee of £80. When the fee is received, we will order your lining work.

Note: When practical, lining works are installed when other road marking work is planned in your area. There can be a delay between accepting your application and the H bar marking being installed.

Please note: During winter months (October through April), delays can be caused by daytime temperatures being too low for lining work.

How much does it cost?

There is a fee of £100 that must be paid when you apply, which is non-refundable*. This covers the site visit and the eligibility assessment.

If successful, there will be a charge of £80 for the line painting.

Important note: We have the right to remove the marking at any time, without giving a refund.

*To apply, see: How do I apply? .

How do I apply?

The applications and fee payment is by phone only. Please have a credit / debit card ready to pay the fee.

  • Call: 01422 288002.

Please note: Make sure that you meet all the criteria before applying.

Always open first question: 

Important notes: Please read carefully:

  • Your application MUST be accompanied by the assessment fee.
  • The decision to approve or reject your application for an H bar marking is made at the Council's discretion.
    • Note: Completion of the application form does not guarantee that it will be approved.
  • You MUST have a properly constructed dropped crossing / kerb onto the road, see: Dropped crossings FAQ .
    • Note: If it is not properly constructed, your details will be forwarded to the Highway Enforcement Officer for further investigation.
Always open first panel: 

See also