Free School Meals are available for school children of parents or guardians who receive one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seeker's Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, and have an annual income of less than £16,190 (as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs)
- Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit
- Support payments under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit Run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit.
Note: If you are aged 16-18, still at school, and receive Income Support or income based Jobseeker's Allowance yourself, you can get free school meals.
If you are receiving Working Tax Credit, your child / children are not entitled to free school meals.
You must tell us if you have any changes affecting the above income, as it may affect your entitlement to Free School Meals.
How to apply for free school meals
- If you are also claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, you can claim Free School Meals on the same form;
- by phoning the Revenues and Benefits Service on: 01422 288003;
- by completing the Free school meals form [PDF 39KB]
We will send you a letter telling you the start and end date of your Free School Meal entitlement and at the same time let the school(s) know.