Education at home

Parents have a duty to ensure their children receive full-time education suitable to age, ability and aptitude and to any special needs they may have.

In accordance with the provisions of the Education Act 1996 parents may discharge this responsibility by ensuring the child attends school regularly or by providing suitable education in the form of alternative provision. This may be arranged through an alternative provider or may be primarily within the home.  Such arrangements are sometimes described as 'Education Otherwise'.  The Local Authority fully supports the rights of parents to make this choice and seeks to work co-operatively with them.

The Local Authority has a duty to make enquiries if it appears that a child of compulsory school age in its area is not receiving suitable education.

If a child has not enrolled at a school the parent is not required to notify the Local Authority of the arrangements which are in place to provide education.

If a child is a registered pupil at a school the parent must inform the school in writing of their intention to provide alternative provision. The headteacher cannot legally remove the child's name from the roll until this information is provided. Failure to follow this procedure will result in the child's name remaining on the school roll. In these circumstances the headteacher has a legal duty to follow Department for Education (DFE) guidance relating to missing or absent pupils.

If you intend to make arrangements to educate your child other than at school, or are already doing so, a form notifying the Local Authority is available below:

Please return completed forms to the Education Welfare Service

For more information see  GOV.UK: Educating your child at home