Todmorden Town Hall straddles the Walsden Water and was situated in both Lancashire and Yorkshire until the county boundary was moved on January 1st 1888. Designed by John Gibson of Westminster, this Grade 1 listed building holds a strong place in the hearts of local people.
Most iconic, from the outside, is the pediment. The carved stonework has two central female figures on a pedestal. The one on the left represents Lancashire (cotton spinning industry) and the one on the right Yorkshire (engineering and agriculture). Below the two figures are different friezes of the industries coming together to prosper on the border.
Inside the building there is an old Magistrate’s Court which now serves as the Todmorden Town Council Chamber. The ballroom upstairs spans the length of the building and holds many memories for those who have attended the variety of events held in the Town Hall for over 140 years.
The building has many stories to tell and is home to a HLF funded Heritage Centre. Guided ‘Teas and Tours’ are available for groups with fully trained volunteer tour guides. Tours cost £4.50 per person, with a minimum group charge of £45.00. All tours include tea, coffee and biscuits.
Free ‘Taster Tours’ are available for individuals and couples on the first Sunday of the month (except January) and start at 2pm opposite the iconic pediment. There is no need to book a tour: you can just turn up on the day.
For individuals and couples who would like to enjoy a more thorough tour there are also ‘Total Tours of Todmorden Town Hall’ available. These include access to the secret spaces of Todmorden Town Hall, including the former Caretaker’s Flat, bathroom in the attic and cellar. Total Tours of Todmorden Town Hall are charged at £6.50 per person and include tea, coffee and biscuits. Book your place on a Total Tour.
For more information about open days and tours, please contact Daniel Jessop, Volunteer & Events Co-ordinator:
- Username Daniel Jessop
- Email email@example.com
- Telephone 01706 548105 / 07912 891370
How to book Todmorden Town Hall
We would be pleased to discuss your requirements and show you around Todmorden Town hall so you can decide if it is the right place for you. Please contact:
- Username Tracy Ambler-Vinco, Public Halls Centre Manager
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone 01422 392601
Once you are satisfied the Hall is suitable and available on the date of your event, please complete the application form:
Weddings at Todmorden Town Hall
The Town Hall is licensed for wedding ceremonies.
There is a minimum hire charge for the first 2 hours for ceremonies:
- Monday - Friday £195.00
- Saturday and Sunday £325.00
Additional hours for receptions are charged at the following hourly rates:
|Room||Charity / non-commercial use||Commercial rate - Regular hirers|
|Committee Room A||£17.50||£22.00|
VAT does not apply unless stated.
Commercial, one off bookings: please enquire for hire charge.
|Use of Grand Piano||£35.00|
|Tea making facilities||£6.50 per day|
|Full kitchen facilities||£55.00 per day|
|Tea / coffee / biscuits||£1.05 per head plus VAT|
|Digital projector and screen||£28.00 plus VAT|
|Flip chart stand and paper||£7.70 plus VAT|
|Performing Rights Society /
Phonographic Performances Ltd
|Charge varies, plus VAT|
Set-up and clearance charges
- Set-up charge up to 3 hours at a discount of 25% of the relevant hourly rate
- Clearance of 1 hour at a discount of 25% of the hourly rate
- any additional hours to be charged at the full rate
- Additional hours not on the contract will be charged after the event at 1½ times the original rate.
- VAT does not apply unless stated.
One member of staff is included in the hire fee. Extra members of staff are required for all events where a bar is provided and for events attended by around 100 or more people.
Price per hour is £15.00 including VAT.
- Book six or more events per year, regularly spaced throughout the year, e.g. weekly, monthly etc.
- Book the same room(s) for more than one day consecutively.
- A discount of 15% will apply to qualifying bookings in Committee Room A.
- A discount of 30% will apply to the Main Hall and the Council Chamber.
- There is ramped access to the main door off Burnley Road
- The disabled toilet is on the first floor
- A lift gives access to the Main Hall and disabled toilets
- There is an induction loop in the Council Chamber.