People's Park is one of the finest surviving examples of a "Joseph Paxton" Park. Created in 1857, the Park was donated to the people of Halifax by Sir Francis Crossley. It is to be maintained by Calderdale Council, then the 'Halifax Corporation', for all time. To the west of the town centre, the 12.5 acre park is in the heart of a conservation area. It provides a green and pleasant haven for Calderdale people.
Events are put on to suit all tastes, which includes brass bands and gardening workshops. All Calderdale parks can be booked for organised events.
Restoration of People's Park
The People's Park was restored and enhanced by a major scheme started in 1995. This was funded by English Heritage , the Heritage Lottery Fund, Calderdale Council and West Central Halifax Partnership. It included:
- repair Crossley pavilion;
- replace fences and gates;
- install CCTV (seven cameras);
- repair bandstand;
- build new children's play area;
- replant and landscape work;
- restore water features: fountain, lakes, promenade, bridges and sun-dial;
- clean statues;
- new toilets and an information centre;
- replace terrace balustrades;
- repair paths;
- new seats and bins.
Events and contact details
- Username Park Area Manager
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone 01422 284428
Getting to the park
King Cross Street