Getting a license

Thinking of taking up angling? You need to be aware that anyone aged 12 years or over who fishes for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England and Wales, must have an Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence. A rod licence is a statutory requirement (required by law), entitling the holder to use a rod and line to fish. Rod Licences are issued by the Environment Agency and can be purchased from any Post Office in England and Wales, or visit: Environment Agency .

Where can I go fishing?

To find details of fisheries throughout England, including those in the local area, visit: Spotfish .

A number of angling clubs throughout Calderdale have been granted right of access onto areas of Council land where it borders viable sections of the River Calder for the purpose of fishing. You can gain information on local angling clubs and obtain 'day tickets' for specified areas of the River Calder and other sites from:

  • Calder Angling Supplies, phone: 01484 711063;
  • Jewsons of Halifax, phone: 01422 354146.


Information on the local angling clubs can also be obtained by contacting:


See also