Event hosting and filming permissions

If you want to hold an event or film in Calderdale’s public open spaces (includes highways), you need appropriate permission.

Street parties and public events

Plan early

Depending on the nature and scale of your event, applications need to be submitted in good time. This is 40 to 90 days before the event (or when you need an answer).

This is not to say that the planning for an event should not start much earlier. For large or complex events, this could be 12 months or more.

Street parties

Street parties and events that are:

  • for residents / neighbours only;
  • publicised to residents only;
  • held on quiet streets or roads which when closed will have minimal impact on non-residents;
  • self-organised.

The Department for Communities and Local Government has useful guidance. This is for potential organisers of small, private (residents and neighbours only) street parties in a residential setting. For more on this, visit: Your guide to organising a street party .

In these cases, insurance, formal risk assessments and licenses are not normally needed. This is if any music is incidental and no selling is involved. The Council does not need you to do more than the guidance says. We want you to have a safe and successful event.

Do you feel that your street party, or event, is covered by the categories listed? If so, use the application form in the guide to let us know about it. This is required to follow Government advice. Complete the form and return it by post to: Events and Licencing Officer .

Please note: Applications usually take up to 40 days to process. This is because you are likely to need a formal notice to close the road.

For more on the above, contact: Events and Film Office .

Small to large public events

If your event will be:

  • open to people, other than residents and neighbours;
  • held in a public place;
  • publicly advertised
  • or impact on the highway network or other road users, etc.

In these cases the requirements differ and you must submit an event application to the Council. The following attachments can help with event planning and submitting the right information:

Are you new to the application process? Even if the event has been held before, please contact: Events and Film Office .

Note: Other permissions may be required.

We aim to make sure the process is reasonable and proportionate to the scale and nature of your event.


We welcome filming in the area and are committed to helping film and TV production where we can.

There are no laws to stop filming on public streets. Note: Without permission, it is an offence to:

  • cause an obstruction;
  • place materials on the highway or on street furniture.

Please Note: If the Council is not aware you are filming in the area, you may be asked to stop.

You are required to submit either a Notification or a Filming Application form to:

  • raise the Councils awareness;
  • make sure your production runs smoothly;
  • make specific requests.

If you have specific requirements such as those relating to traffic management then time is of the essence if to enable the Council to support your request(s)

For more on filming, contact: Events and Film Office .


  • Username Peter Vardy, Events and Licensing Officer/Morgan Emily Crosland, Apprentice Event Support Officer
  • Email eventsandfilm@calderdale.gov.uk
  • Telephone 01422 384796/393212
  • Address
    The Events and Film Office
    Strategy and Regeneration
    C/O Spring Hall Mansion (Register Office)
    Huddersfield Road, Halifax
    HX3 0AQ

See also