Trace your family history using Ancestry (Library Edition) - free to use in any Calderdale library.
You can use Ancestry to find Census records from 1841 to 1911, many of the Parish Registers of West Yorkshire and the Index of Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1837. Ancestry frequently adds new databases to the list and updates many existing ones. Some of the most recent databases are listed below:
- England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970 - UPDATED
- England, Suffragettes Arrested, 1906-1914 - NEW!
- Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages and Births Index, 1845-1958 - UPDATED
- West Yorkshire, England, Select Removal and Settlement Records (Poor Law), 1689-1866 - NEW
- 1851 England Census - UPDATED
If you are in a Calderdale library, visit Ancestry (library edition)
Are you using local newspapers to find birth, marriage and death records?
A volunteer project currently underway aims to index the Birth, marriage and death records notices for the entire period of the Halifax Guardian’s existence. The index available so far covers the years 1832 to 1885.