Trace your family history using Ancestry (Library Edition). This is free to use in any Calderdale library.
You can use Ancestry to find Census records from 1841 to 1911. You can also find many Parish Registers of West Yorkshire and the Index of Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1837. Ancestry often adds new databases to the list and updates many others. Some of the most recent databases are listed below:
- England and Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970 (Updated)
- England, Suffragettes Arrested, 1906-1914 (New!)
- Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages and Births Index, 1845-1958 (Updated)
- West Yorkshire, England, Select Removal and Settlement Records (Poor Law), 1689-1866 (New!)
- 1851 England Census (Updated)
If you are in a Calderdale library, visit: Ancestry (library edition) .
Are you using local newspapers to find birth, marriage and death records?
Library volunteers have indexed Birth, marriage and death records from the Halifax Guardian for its entire period of existence. This index covers the period from December 1832 to April 1921.