Reading well helps you to understand and manage your health and wellbeing using self-help reading. The scheme is endorsed by health professionals and supported by public libraries. Information is available on the Reading Well website. The collection consists of a number of stands and is available in all libraries.
Books on prescription: Mental health
This collection addresses mild to moderate mental health conditions.
Books on prescription: Dementia
This collection provides help and support for people with dementia and their carers. Anyone who would like to find out more about the condition or is worried about symptoms.
Reading well for Young people
This collection provides information and advice on mental health issues for 13 -18 year olds. The book list contains information about issues like anxiety, stress and OCD and difficult experiences like bullying and exams
Mood boosting collections contain a great range of fiction, non fiction, poetry, and short stories and have something for everyone. They can be accessed through all Calderdale libraries .
Macmillan mood boosting books
The reading agency worked with Macmillan cancer support to involve people with experience in cancer in creating the collection. Most titles are not specifically about cancer but have been recommended as books that people have found useful during or after treatment.
Other health collections
Calderdale’s largest collection of adult mental health books, DVDs, CDs and journals, for self help, study and research is housed in the Access for All suite at the Central Library . Financed by the Adult Mental Health Service, these items are free to loan and included in the main Library Catalogue.
All libraries stock a collection of 11 informative Adult Health and Social Care leaflets, such as Guides to Social Care for Carers, Older People and Adults with Learning Disabilities
Finding the book you want
Search the Online library catalogue for books about health, medicine, well-being and fitness that are available to borrow throughout the library service.
Services held at specific libraries
Online information and services
All Calderdale libraries offer free Internet access, enabling you to search for health information.
- NHS Choices - Library staff can help you navigate this excellent site.
- Free access to subscription-only sites - Information is available on Britannica Online .
- Choose and Book - Staff in Central Library, Halifax, Elland Library, Hebden Bridge Library, Todmorden Library, Brighouse Library, and Sowerby Bridge Library can help you with this online facility for booking NHS appointments.
- The Social Care and Wellbeing Hub - This is an information resource just for Calderdale. It gives you access to a wide range of health and social care options.
- Yorkshire smoke free - Find a smoking cessation clinic near you.