If you believe you are at risk of losing your home, contact Housing Options service .
They will arrange for a Housing Adviser to interview you. They will work with you to try to prevent you from becoming homeless, by:
- giving you your local housing options;
- negotiating or mediating with whoever you rent from or live with so that you can remain in your current home or stay there until you can find somewhere else to live;
- telling you your rights as a lodger or tenant;
- telling you the rights of your landlord;
- giving advice and helping you with your difficulties in finding somewhere else to live;
- assisting you in applying for properties through: KeyChoice ,or with other housing associations ;
- referring you for debt advice if you need it;
- assisting you with rent and mortgage problems;
- referring you for supported housing;
- referring you for floating housing related support;
- helping you if you are experiencing: Domestic violence and abuse and may refer you to a specialist service.
You will be asked to give us permission to contact other agencies or professionals who are involved with you as well as possibly your family or landlord.
Homelessness prevention strategy
The Calderdale Homelessness Strategy 2015-2020 sets out what the Council and a wide range of partners will do to try to tackle homelessness in the Borough over a five year period. This is the third strategy to be developed by the Borough since the requirement to publish a homelessness strategy was introduced in 2002.
The strategy contains four key objectives:
- to mitigate the impact of welfare reform;
- to develop appropriate services and an accommodation pathway to prevent youth homelessness;
- to improve outcomes for homeless people with chaotic lifestyles;
- to identify the risk of homelessness of homelessness amongst older people and the potential for developing preventative action.
The strategy is supported by an action plan that will be reviewed on an annual basis