Supporting People


The vision of Calderdale Supporting People (SP) is:

"To provide high quality housing support services, to give people in Calderdale the opportunity to live independently".

Supporting People is funding of housing related support services for vulnerable people aged 16 or above. It will pay for a range of services that meet the needs of people who want to live independently.

You may qualify for help if you:

  • are homeless or have been homeless and still need support
  • are at risk of domestic violence
  • have mental health problems
  • have a learning disability
  • are an older person and need support
  • have alcohol and / or drug problems
  • are a young person in need of support
  • are an offender or ex-offender.

All services operate within the fair access and diversity guidelines and we promote equal opportunity and access to all.

What are Housing Support services?

Housing Support services range from hostels to sheltered housing and independent tenancies. They can also include tenancies in shared accommodation and purpose built schemes.

You can receive support at home with someone visiting, or move into a supported housing scheme with on-site support - available 24 hours a day. The support can last for as long as you need it - anything from a few weeks to the rest of your life - depending on your needs.

Applying for Supporting People support

An application form will be given to you by your support worker or landlord when you move in or start to need housing support.

Will I have to pay for the service?

There may be a charge for some support services. Short term services (those intended to last no longer than 2 years) are free of charge, but you may need to pay towards long term services (those intended to last more than 2 years). You can request a financial assessment which will help us decide if we can help towards the cost of your support service.

How is Supporting People funding paid?

If you are eligible for funding, Supporting People payments are made to your landlord or support provider who deduct any contribution from the amount they charge you.

How housing support can help

Housing support services are designed to help with advice and support in your home. This could include:

  • helping you to set up your own home
  • help you to understand official letters and documents - including your tenancy agreement
  • providing community alarm and warden call service
  • giving you advice about claiming benefits
  • helping you to get in contact with other services
  • help you to deal with money and paying bills
  • helping you to settle into your new community and getting to know people
  • helping you learn how to look after your own home
  • helping you to sort things out when they don't go as well as you had hoped

and much more but it is not hands on care.

Search for housing support schemes

The Supporting People programme funds the cost of providing Housing Related Support for vulnerable people. The actual support is offered by around 112 schemes provided by 25 organisations. The Supporting People Team does not provide the support or deal with referrals to any of the schemes.

Details of the Supporting People funded services available throughout Calderdale are available on the Social Care and Wellbeing Hub

Many of the services are by referral agency only, however contacts and phone numbers to the schemes are provided.

What the Supporting People Team does

The Supporting People team aims to:

  • make sure that there are enough suitable support services;
  • make sure the services are available to people who need them, whatever their age, disability, race or gender;
  • ensure that the services are of a good quality and are getting better;
  • make sure that services provide good value.

Where to find other relevant information

  • contact your support provider or the housing benefit team.
  • Financial assessments - or the charging assessment team.
  • For information relating to your rent accounts contact your landlord or support provider.

Useful websites


The Supporting People office is open 8.45 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Thursday and 8.45am to 5.00pm on Fridays
  • Username Supporting People Team
  • Email
  • Telephone 01422 393956
  • Address
    Supporting People
    Adults, Health and Social Care
    1 Park Road
    HX1 2TU