Immigration accommodation certificates

If you applied for permanent residency in this country, or someone applied on your behalf, you can be asked to provide a letter from the Local Authority.

The letter (called an Accommodation Report), is to confirm that the property you intend to occupy is:

  • fit to live in;
  • complies with housing legislation; and
  • will not become overcrowded when you move in.

The Council must inspect the property before providing the letter.

  • You can ask the Council to provide an Accommodation Report by filling in an: PDFApplication for a housing inspection [PDF 552KB]
  • You must pay a fee before the Council can carry out the inspection, see: Fees and charges .
  • The fee and completed form should be posted to the address on the form.
  • You are responsible for letter getting to the appropriate authority, in support your application for immigration.

Note: The Council will not supply letters, unless an inspection has been carried out.

The Immigration Authorities will not normally accept letters that are more than 12 weeks old. If your letter expires, the Council will need to carry out another inspection. You may have to pay another fee for this. The Council may charge for amendments to the letter, or for providing copies of the letter.

It is very important that you are certain you are ready to submit your full application to the relevant authorities, before you request a property inspection for immigration purposes.

See also