Adaptations for elderly and disabled people

The Accessible Homes Agency assists with getting adaptations carried out for people with disabilities, to keep them independent at home, or assists people to find more accessible alternative housing.walk in shower

The Agency also administers Disabled Facilities Grants, Minor Works Grants, Relocation Loans, Home Appreciation Loans and will assist with accessing other financial assistance.

Minor Works Grants are available for smaller adaptations to the home like lever taps, grab rails and handrails. In many cases they can be carried out free without waiting for an occupational therapy assessment or a means test. For more information see: Minor works grants.

The Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) may be able to provide the finance for large adaptations to your home. This grant is means tested and the works must first be recommended by an Occupational Therapist who will assess your needs.

To request an assessment of your needs from the Community Occupational Therapy Service, contact: Gateway to Care .

Assistance is also available if you want to pay for the works yourself, or if you feel that moving house might be a better option.

Paying for adaptations

There is help available to pay for many adaptations depending on the work needed and your circumstances. Most small adaptations are available free of charge if they are necessary for you to remain independent at home.

VAT and adaptations

Most adaptations are zero rated for VAT. This means that you may not have to pay VAT for all or some of the work to your house. Advice about this can be found on the Government website VAT Reliefs for Disabled People , from the Accessible Homes Agency (contact details below), or your building contractor.


For more information, or to talk to a member of the team, contact:

In person: At any Customer First office .


See also