Accessible homes grants

The Accessible Homes Agency can advise on the grants available to make home adaptations which help people to live independently.

  • Disabled Facilities Grant

    Examples of work carried out include the installation of stair lifts and walk-in showers.
  • Minor Works Grant

    This type of funding is used to fit grab rails, exterior lighting and keysafes and is usually carried out following an assessment by Social Services.

Minor works grant and Self referralshouse adaptedto have handrails

These grants are available to pay for small adaptations likely to cost less than £1,000. To be eligible you must need the work to be done. There is no means test and no formal application process and if you need to have the work done, there is no charge.

These works are generally requested by an Occupational Therapist following an assessment, but can in some instances be requested by the person who needs the work doing. The Handyperson Service arrange and co-ordinate the works and provide information on the types of work that can be requested.

Applying for a Minor Works Grant

These adaptations are for people who have a disability or health related problem that prevents them carrying out their day to day needs within their home.

People who need other adaptations or other services may be referred to Social Services for a more detailed assessment.

To request an assessment of your needs from the Community Occupational Therapy Service, contact: Gateway to Care .


If you would like any more information or would like to talk to a member of the team do not hesitate to contact us.

Helping us to improve our services

It is our aim to continually improve the quality of the service provided. Customer satisfaction surveys are undertaken on completion of all applications, and we encourage service users to tell us what they think of the services they receive and how they could be improved.

For more information, or to request a leaflet, contact:

In person: At any Customer First office.


See also