Support the Council can provide

How to get help from us

Do you need help to live on your own and safely in your own home?

We can help you find out what help you need. We can also let you know what is available in your area and discuss how to pay for support.

This initial help is for everyone. To contact the team to discuss your situation and what help you need, see: Gateway to Care or contact us online.

Services we can provide

The support we provide includes:

  • care alarm services;
  • frozen meals;
  • personal care;
  • outreach support;
  • sitting services;
  • and domestic help.

We also offer other forms of support, like transport, equipment and more.

For more information about Community Care Alarms and Assistive Technology, see: PDFCommunity Care Alarms and Assistive Technology Leaflet [PDF 632KB]

Paying for support

This kind of help is not always free. You will not have to pay a charge, if:

  • you are suffering from Creuzfeldt Jacob Disease;
  • you are in receipt of 100% Continuing Healthcare Funding;
  • or you are receiving aftercare under Section 117 of the Mental Health Act.

Most people will have to pay something towards the cost. the amount to pay will depend on a financial assessment. Some people may have to look for and arrange help for themselves after assessment.

Do you have savings or investments (capital) over the current national threshold of £23,250? If yes, you will be asked to pay the full cost of care, or the maximum charge. You will pay the lower amount of the two.

Please note: If your capital is below £23,250, we need to see full details of your income and capital.

For more on paying for support and assessing of charges, please read: PDFCalderdale Community Care Charges leaflet from April 2017 [PDF 913KB] .

Here is a short video that also explains how charges are assessed:

See also