We have a 'no side waste, closed lid policy'. This is to encourage more use of the recycling boxes and bags to increase recycling rates in Calderdale.
This means that your wheelie bin lid must be shut completely. There should be no extra waste left at the side of your bin, either bagged or un-bagged (side waste). We will not collect side waste or empty bins that are so full that the lid will not close.
If you have a lot of waste and your bin is overflowing, you may need more recycling containers. You can request recycling boxes or bags using our online form: Request new or replacement bins, bags or boxes
You may be eligible for a second wheelie bin for your waste, If:
- you are recycling as much as you can on our weekly recycling service and:
- you are a large family, with 6 or more living permanently in the same house;
- or, you have two children under 3 ½ years old in full-time nappies.
If you are on a sack collection and meet the above criteria, we take 8 sacks (maximum), on collection day.
If you would like to request an extra bin, phone: 01422 288002. Please also see: charges .
A Council officer will then contact you to confirm your additional bin or sacks.
Residents who do not have a wheelie bin
If you do not have a wheelie bin, 4 standard issued bin bags (maximum), will be taken on collection day. Note: Any extra bags will be stickered and left.
What will happen to excess waste
If crews find bins with lids not fully closed, or with excess waste at the side, the following will happen:
- If a bin is overfilled, excess bag(s) will be removed from that bin so the lid is fully closed. The bags will then be put back inside the bin after the bin has been emptied. The crew will leave a sticker on the bin to inform the householder that there was too much waste.
- Excess bags left at the side of wheelie bins will not be removed or placed into bins by crews. The bin will be emptied, but bags will be stickered to inform the householder that there was too much waste.
- Crews will make a note of the address and give this to our Customer First . They will then explain why waste was left, if a resident gets in touch.
- We have advisers ready to visit residents who are having difficulties. They will offer help and advice on how to recycle more and waste less.
- If excess waste continues to be a problem for a resident, further action may be taken by the Council. This will in extreme circumstances, after all help and advice has been given.
There is a £30 delivery charge for all new, replacement or additional wheelie bins. This is payable in advance, by phoning: 01422 288002, or in person at Halifax, Brighouse or Todmorden Council cash offices .
You might also be interested in...
- Collection day finder
- A to Z of waste and recycling
- Find your nearest Household Waste Recycling Centre
- Request a bulky item collection
- Trade and business waste