Calderdale has a wealth of features and architecture worthy of being conserved and enhanced for the future. You can find out more in the following sections:

Ancient monuments

If an archaeological site is considered to be of national importance, then it can be scheduled. This gives the site legal protection and it is placed on the Register of scheduled sites.

Most sites are added to the register by Historic England, but you can also nominate a site that you believe should be included.

For full details of scheduling, how to nominate a site and to see sites already on the list, visit: Historic England: Scheduled monuments .

If you need to carry out work to scheduled monuments, contact: Historic England .

Note: It is against the law to:

  • damage a scheduled monument by carrying out works without consent;
  • cause reckless or deliberate damage;
  • use a metal detector or remove an object found within a scheduled monument, without a licence from Historic England .

Conservation areas

All local planning authorities must designate Conservation areas. These are villages, neighbourhoods or parts of towns that have a special character to be safeguarded and enhanced.

A number of special controls and requirements apply in conservation areas, in order to protect their character. This does not mean that there will be no new developments or alterations to existing buildings. It is recognised that places must be able to adapt to the demands of present day life! However, the Council has a duty to ensure that any change:

  • increases the attractiveness of these areas;
  • or does no harm to their special qualities.

If you want to make alterations to a property, demolish a building or fell a tree in a Conservation area, see: Do I need planning permission and will I get it?

Conservation areas in Calderdale

These include:

Controls in conservation areas

There are special controls and requirements that apply to conservation areas to protect their character, which include:

  • consent for demolishing buildings and other structures;
  • new developments must be well designed, including using traditional natural materials;
  • new buildings, extensions and alterations must preserve or enhance the character of the conservation area;
  • the Council must be notified six weeks before you want to fell or prune a tree(s), see: Trees and hedges ;
  • planning applications are needed for some types of development that you may not need elsewhere, such as:
    • larger house or industrial extensions;
    • dormer windows;
    • cladding external walls of a house;
    • satellite dishes facing a highway;
    • illuminated advertisements.

To find out if you need planning permission, see: Do I need planning permission and will I get it?

Historic parks and gardens

Historic England  maintains a 'Register of parks and gardens' of special historic interest in England. To view the register, visit: National Heritage List for England (NHLE) .

A park or garden is included in the register if it is assessed by Historic England to be of special historical interest. This includes the age of its main layout and features, its rarity as an example of historic landscape design and the quality of the landscaping. Find out more by visiting: Registered parks and gardens .

If you feel a park or garden should be included in the register, nominate it by visiting: How to get historic buildings or sites protected through listing .

Calderdale registered parks and gardens

Site Historic England reference number Grid reference Grade Date registered
The People's Park GD 1540 SE 0823 II* 1 December 1984
Shibden Hall GD 3293 SE 1025 II 27 June 2000
West View Park PG 3328 SE 0624 II 7 March 2001
Shroggs Park GD 3381 SE 0826 II 4 October 2001
Lister Lane Cemetery GD 3530 SE 085 252 II 18 March 2003
Stoney Royd Cemetery GD 3564 SE 100 244 II 26 January


Listed buildings

A building is listed if it is considered to be of special architectural or historic interest. This does not mean that it is necessarily attractive! A building can also cover bridges, milestones, sundials, etc.

All buildings that are listed are on the National Heritage List for England (NHLE) . This list states which grade of listing, plus a description of the exterior and where applicable, internal features that led to the building being listed.

Note: All buildings and structures at an address are considered listed, unless otherwise stated.

Calderdale also has a register of local listed properties, see: Search for local listed buildings , or contact: Planning services .

For full details of listings and what it means, visit: Historic England: listing .

Barn conversions

If you are considering a barn conversion, Historic England have published 'A Guide to Good Practice' that covers all styles of barn, visit: The conversion of traditional farm buildings .

How to nominate a building for listing (spot listing)

You can nominate a building or site for listing. For details, visit: How to get historic buildings or sites protected through listing .

You will be asked for as much detail as possible, as to why you feel the building or site should be listed. This includes photographs, address or location, ownership, historical evidence and any current planning applications.

How does it affect my building?

If your building is listed, you will need listed building consent before doing work that affects the external / internal character of the building. Before you do any work, contact Planning services . They will confirm if the work is going to affect the character or not and whether you will need consent.

To apply for listed building consent, see: Listed buildings .

You may also be eligible for a grant towards the cost of repairing a listed building. For more information, visit: Historic England .


Always open first panel: 

Conservation strategy

For on this, contact Planning Services by phone: 01422 392237.

See also