Appeal a planning decision

You have the right to appeal if your planning applications has:

  • been refused;
  • had conditions added that you are unhappy with;
  • not been determined by its target date or agreed deadline;
  • been considered, following the submission of a 'Section 10a notice', to be non-valid because the information on the Local list has not been submitted with it. (A Section 10a notice is a letter stating why you consider the information to be unnecessary for your application); or
  • you have been served an enforcement notice.

Making an appeal

Before you appeal

There may be scope to amend your planning application, rather than make an appeal. You can discuss this with your case officer. Contact details can be found on your notification, which states that your application is valid or non-valid.

How to appeal

Note: Before you start an appeal, please read: PDFPlanning and Enforcement appeals - privacy notice [PDF 41KB] . This explains how we will deal with your information.

You can appeal online, visit: Make a planning application appeal .

You can also appeal by post. To get the necessary paper documents, contact the Planning Portal Customer Support team, by phone: 0303 444 5000 or email: .

The decision will be reviewed by a planning inspector appointed by the Planning inspectorate . For more guidance, visit: Appeal a planning decision .

Most appeals are free, apart from some Enforcement notice appeals . Note: Appeals are time consuming for all parties involved.

All appeals can viewed online:

Both the above websites include all documents and comments from the public (original and new).

Comment on an appeal

Only an applicant can make an appeal. However, if you were notified of the original application and / or made comments about it, you will be notified that an appeal has been made. You will have the opportunity to make further comments.

Note: All appeal documents made by the public, can be seen this this website, or the Planning portal . This includes original and new comments.

See also