Other help available

Support in the upper Calder Valley

Local flood groups

Following the flooding in 2012 local flood groups were set up in Todmorden, Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd.

These groups, run by volunteers, promote the interests of residents, raise awareness of flooding issues in the community and work on practical flood projects. This includes, writing community flood plans and establishing local flood stores. The groups meet regularly and their meetings are open to all members of the local community.

To find out more about the groups and their forthcoming meetings, email:

Flood wardens

Local people can volunteer to be 'stand-by' flood wardens: the "eyes and ears" during a flood incident. This helps ensure flood warning messages reach local communities and are acted upon. Flood wardens also help local communities in the aftermath of flooding. If you would like to volunteer, email your local flood group using the details above.

River stewardship

The Upper Calder Valley River Stewardship scheme enables local residents to volunteer and carry out practical flood resilience and environmental enhancement in and around the waterways in the Upper Calder Valley. The scheme runs practical activities which serve as an introduction to the themes of river stewardship.

Details of forthcoming volunteer events are available at Calder Future. To volunteer for this project contact Gavin Roberts at Calder Futures, email: calderfuture@gmail.com .


Our current policy on sandbag use in response to Environment Agency flood warnings is under review.

Stocks of sandbags are held to allow contractors to respond to flood warnings as quickly as possible. Deploying sandbags in places where there is a known significant risk of flooding of roads, or where there is a risk of flooding to properties from roads. We require unhindered access to sandbags to ensure a speedy response to 'at risk' locations.

Pre-filled hessian sandbags can be purchased from most local builders merchants. Sandbags will rot in storage and may become unusable before they are needed.

Alternatively, the National Flood Forum's Blue Pages Directory, lists suppliers of proprietary flood bags that do not use sand and can be stored for long periods. Advice to the public from the Environment Agency and Defra is to use purpose made flood protection products rather than sandbags.

Temporary accommodation

During an emergency incident you may be asked to leave your home or be unable to return to your home for a set period of time. The need for this type of action and the duration is usually decided by the Police or the Fire and Rescue Service, depending on the type of incident. Should this happen to you, wherever possible it is best for you to stay with family or friends. However, should this not be an option the Council will provide temporary accommodation in the form of a Rest Centre. A rest centre will provide overnight accommodation. Should the incident require longer term housing, our housing team will support this with advice and assistance.


It is not possible for a rest centre to house the variety of pets that evacuees may like to bring with them for the following reasons:

  • other evacuees potential allergies to certain animals or their hair;
  • other evacuees fear or phobias;
  • conflict between animals;
  • logistics of providing food for a variety of animals.

Evacuees are to make other arrangements for their animals.

NHS Services

The NHS have a directory which can be searched to find your nearest GP, pharmacy, health centre, dentist etc, visit: Find NHS Services .


If there is deceased livestock after flooding, see: Dead Animals for advice.

See also