Fixed penalty notices

Someone who has committed a relatively minor environmental offence may be offered a fixed penalty as an alternative to prosecution. The fixed penalty notice requires the person who has committed the offence to pay a fine. If you have been served with a fixed penalty notice and pay the fine within 14 days, then the Council cannot prosecute you. If payment is not received within 14 days, you can be prosecuted for the offence.

Fixed penalty notices can only be served by authorised Officers of the Council. They can be used to deal with a wide range of environmental offences, including:

Why are fixed penalty notices issued?

The Council would normally seek to prosecute offenders where there is sufficient evidence to do so. Fixed penalty notices are a proportionate, simple and fast alternative to prosecution, offering the Council an efficient way to deal with relatively minor crimes, in line with our ambition of making Calderdale a cleaner and safer place. Fixed penalties also allow the person who has committed the offence to avoid further formal action and a possible criminal conviction.

Paying a fixed penalty notice

You can use any of these methods:

  • by telephone: This is the preferred payment method. You can use your debit or credit card by phoning 01422 392373 (Monday - Friday 8.45am - 5.00pm);
  • in person: You can pay by cash, cheque, debit / credit card, or postal / money order, made payable to Calderdale MBC and crossed A/C payee only. You should bring the Fixed Penalty Notice to one of the Council’s cash offices at Halifax, Brighouse or Todmorden, see: Local offices ;
  • by post: You can pay by crossed cheque, or postal / money order, made payable to Calderdale MBC and crossed A/C Payee only. On the reverse side of your cheque or postal / money order write the name, address and Fixed Penalty Notice reference number. Enclose the tear off slip (bottom of the Fixed Penalty Notice). Post-dated cheques will not be accepted.

You should send payment to: