Post-16 transport provision policy

This is a summary of the Post-16 transport provision policy. It is recommended that you read the full policy before you apply for assistance, see: Post-16 transport provision :

Calderdale Council's main objective is to improve the participation and retention rates in schools and colleges, through the assistance with transport costs. We want to ensure that all young people have the opportunity to develop skills and qualifications for future employment and make the most of their potential.

No learner should be prevented from taking part in further education because of a lack of support travelling to and from school, or college.

Eligibility criteria

The provision applies to all learners living in Calderdale who are:

  • attending school sixth forms, including the independent sector and colleges of further education; and
  • who are unable to access their school, college or training provision, by using a School Plus Metrocard.

This could be due to the learners specific circumstances, the location of the school or college, or the learner is aged 19 years and over. The cost of a School Plus Metrocard will be deducted from any provision offered.

Learners must be:

  • of learner age;
  • attending school or further education;
  • attending full time;
  • have the ability to prove need;
  • live more than three miles away;
  • attending the nearest school or college.

Learners with an Education Health and Care plan are supported up to aged 25 years, subject to finance, see: Learners with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities .

Learners on paid work-based learning courses, are not eligible for support.


Regard will be given to those applicants who can be said to be socially excluded through their personal circumstances and priority will be given to those people who fall into 'widening participation' categories. These include:

  • learners whose parents are on benefits that allow them to receive free school meals if at school, or receive the maximum working tax credit or equivalent if on Universal Credit;
  • learners living independently on low income, or are parents under 20 years old at the start of the course, or are carers;
  • learners in care, or have been in care;
  • learners within the criminal justice system;
  • learners who are, or may become NEET (not in education, employment or training);
  • learners with disabilities who need support.


Each case is assessed individually and the most cost effective transport solution will be provided. This could take the form of cash payments, walking escort, escort on public transport, taxi or specialist transport.

An alternative is the option to purchase a bicycle. An allowance of up to £300 is available to buy a bicycle, and safety and security equipment. Receipts are required as proof of purchase and the bicycle is expected to last throughout the course.

Learners with Special Educational Needs

Learners with an Education Health and Care (EHC) plan or are treated no less favourably than other learners, and recognition is given to the differential costs they may incur in comparison with other learners.

Mobility allowances will be taken into account. Parents receiving the Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA), and have obtained a vehicle through the Mobility Scheme for the benefit of the learner, will be expected to use it. If a parent has not obtained a vehicle, the HRMC will still be taken into account when determining any assistance. In both cases, a mileage allowance will be provided for parents making their own arrangements.

Consideration will be given to providing transport assistance for Post 16 learners with Education, Health and Care plans where the distance is less than three miles. In such cases, an assessment of need will be necessary.

A learner is not regarded as having a learning disability solely because the language (or form of language) in which he or she is taught, is different to that which has at any time been spoken in his or her home.

Learners with disabilities or learning disabilities will receive assistance with training expenses if they:

  • live within Calderdale and attend full time at their nearest Calderdale school or college, or nearest school or college outside Calderdale, if an equivalent course is not available; or
  • have the ability to prove need; or
  • have an EHC plan that explicitly identifies transport in the plan at the time of leaving mainstream or special secondary school; or
  • had an EHC plan that did not identify transport (due to proximity of home to school), or have since developed learning difficulties. An assessment of need will be necessary.

Note Support is allocated each academic year and new applications have to be made each year by all learners. Once the Post-16 Transport Provision is reviewed in May, all applications are assessed against the new guidance from the Education Funding Agency.

Different approaches of providing transport assistance will be pursued wherever possible, in order to make the best use of the limited funds available.

Independent travel

As learners become older and move towards greater independence, they may want to develop their skills of independent travel. For some this may mean using public transport, or walking to school or college. For others transport assistance may be required through school / college life.

The Independent Travel Trainers work with schools, colleges, and the learner and their family to enable the learner to achieve greater levels of competency in their independent travel.

For more information, see: Independent travel training .

Learners attending residential schools and colleges

Support will be given to learners who are boarding at their nearest suitable specialist residential college. This will be in the form of payment for approved travelling expenses for journeys to and from the college at the start and end of each academic term, and at half terms, less the cost of School Plus Metrocard.

It will be based on the cheapest available fare by public transport, and also expressed in terms of a mileage allowance by car.

Provision is provided subject to the distance to the school or college within Calderdale, or the nearest available school or college outside Calderdale if an equivalent course of study cannot be undertaken in Calderdale and no other funding is available.


Support will not be given to learners if there is no reasonable progressions in their studies. This is established by the school or college, who can determine if satisfactory attendance and conduct is being maintained, in the context of a learner's individual circumstances and with reference to any Student Learning Agreement that may be in place.

Learners who fail to attend school or college without a valid reason, or who terminate their attendance, will be required to pay back any outstanding monies.

All passes remain the property of the issuing organisation and must be returned.

Assistance available to Post 16 learners in education

There are a range of concessionary bus and train fares for Post 16 learners attending an educational provision, see: Concessionary fares .

A Scholar's Photocard will allow 16 to 18 year old students to claim half price bus and train travel, plus the option to purchase the School Plus Metrocard. This is one of the cheapest forms of transport for many students, and can be bought as a weekly or monthly card. The user can travel by bus throughout West Yorkshire, 7 days a week at any time of day.

For help and advice on all public transport services, times and fares in West Yorkshire, visit: West Yorkshire Metro .

For information on school transport, visit: GenerationM .

For learners who study at schools or colleges in Nelson, Colne, Burnley and Kirklees, information is available from school offices or college student services.


Learning providers should ensure that non-employed programme-led apprentices have reasonable expenses met in full where these are needed to overcome barriers to learning. This may include the cost of travelling to, or from, the place of learning or work placement. Learning providers can claim the cost of expenses against the Additional Learner Support allocation on the Training Provider Statement.

For more information, visit: C&K Careers .

Appeals procedure

The Service Manager with responsibility for Home to School Transport has the discretion to approve requests for transport assistance in special circumstances, if applications are found to justify approval outside the guidance. Learners who wish to appeal against the decision not to award support, or to withdraw existing support, should contact the: Access and School Planning team to request a Stage One Appeal form.

If learners are not satisfied with the outcome of the Stage One appeal, a further appeal may be made to the Appeals Panel, which meets when necessary. Contact the: Access and School Planning team for a form.

Applying for support

To apply, see: Post-16 transport provision and complete the relevant application form.

Application forms can also be requested by contacting the: Access and School Planning team .


See also