In-year transfers

In general, the Authority does not encourage transfers between schools for reasons other than a house move (this excludes children moving from a nursery setting to a reception class). Evidence strongly indicates that they are rarely in the best educational interests of the pupil because of the disruption this would cause to their learning experience.

Primary school transfers within Calderdale

Primary schools within North Halifax, West Central Halifax, Elland and Sowerby Bridge

North Halifax primary schools:

Abbey Park Primary Academy Akroydon Primary Academy Ash Green Community Primary School Bradshaw Primary School
Dean Field Community Primary School Lee Mount Primary School Moorside Community Primary School St Malachy's Catholic Primary School, a Voluntary Academy

West Central Halifax primary schools:

Beech Hill School Christ Church (Pellon) CE (VC) Primary School The Halifax Academy (primary phase) Holy Trinity Primary School C of E Academy (COEA)
Ling Bob J I and N School Mount Pellon Primary Academy Parkinson Lane Community Primary School Savile Park Primary School
St Augustine's CE (VA) J and I School St Mary's Catholic Primary School (Halifax) Warley Road Primary School  

Elland Primary Schools:

All Saints' CE (VA) J and I School Bowling Green Primary School Cross Lane Primary School Elland CE (VA) J I and N School
Holywell Green Primary School Old Earth School Salterhebble J and I School Siddal Primary School
St Patrick's Catholic Primary School The Greetland Academy West Vale Primary School  

Sowerby Bridge Primary Schools:

Barkisland CE (VA) Primary School Bolton Brow Primary Academy Christ Church CE (VA) Junior School Copley Primary School
New Road Primary School Norland CE (VC) J and I School Ripponden J and I School Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School
Sowerby Village CE (VC) Primary School St John's CE Primary School (Rishworth) St Mary's CE J and I School (Sowerby Bridge) Triangle CE (VC) Primary School
Tuel Lane Infant School Warley Town School    

If a parent, having considered carefully the effects that such a transfer may have, still wishes to request a transfer to a Calderdale primary school in these areas, they should complete an in-year application form:

Primary school in-year transfer form

Once an online application has been submitted, you will be sent a 'Part B' form for completion. You will be required to send this to your child's current, or most recent, school to request further information to support your application. The Education Welfare  service may also be required to provide further information if deemed appropriate to assist in the transfer process.

An application will be considered at a two or three weekly meeting (term time only) by the headteachers of primary schools within the West Central Halifax, North Halifax, Elland or Sowerby Bridge areas. Parents / carers are informed of the outcome of the request in writing by the local authority.

All other primary schools within Calderdale

Parents / carers should contact the school direct and the school will confirm if a place can be offered.

Secondary school transfers from pupils resident within Calderdale

If a parent, having considered carefully the effects that such a transfer would mean, still wishes to request a transfer to a Calderdale secondary school or a secondary school outside the Authority, they should complete an 'in-year application form':

Secondary school in-year transfer form

Transfer to The Crossley Heath School or The North Halifax Grammar School will include an exam.

Information from the pupil's current school will be required. Additionally, a report from Education Welfare may be required if deemed appropriate to assist in the transfer process.

The application will then be considered by the Secondary School Head Teachers. Meetings generally take place every two weeks during term time only. Parents / carers are informed of the outcome of the request in writing by the Local Authority.

If a child is not offered a place at any of their preferred schools then parents / carers have the right to appeal to an Independent Appeals Panel.

Please contact the Admissions Team for further advice.

Primary and secondary schools transfers from pupils resident outside Calderdale

Parents / carers living outside Calderdale should contact their home local authority to request an application form, if that authority coordinates in year applications. This applies even if the school requested is within Calderdale.

The relevant authority will then liaise with Calderdale and notify parents of the offer of a school place.

Pupils with a Statement of Special Educational Needs / Education Health and Care plan

Parents wishing to transfer a child who is in receipt of a Statement of special educational needs or an Education Health and Care plan should not submit an 'in year application form', but should send a request in writing to the SEND Manager .

Pupils in public care ('Children Looked After')

If you are applying for a school place for a child who is looked after, then you do not need to complete a form. Requests for transfers should be completed by the allocated social worker. For advice, please contact the Virtual School Team .