Social Care

Social care services in Calderdale are run by Calderdale Council with support from local NHS providers and other organisations when appropriate.

General support is available from the Family Support Team and your local Children's Centre with more specialist support being provided by the Disabled Children's Team.

Calderdale Safeguarding Children Board (CSCB)

We all have a duty to safeguard, protect and promote the welfare of children and young people and this is the primary focus of CSCB. Who can you contact if you are concerned that a child may be suffering significant harm, Bullying, Domestic Abuse/Violence? How can you find out about Internet Safety? For more information, visit: Calderdale Safeguarding Children Board .

Disabled Children's Team

The Disabled Children's Team (DCT) provides services to children and young people who have needs arising from their disability. They work with children with severe learning disabilities, and children who need significant support to take part in ordinary activities. The DCT can also assess the needs of the children's parents, carers, and siblings: sometimes all members of the household share the caring tasks and may need support too.

A recent schools survey has highlighted a satisfaction rate of 93% for the Calderdale Disabled Children’s Team – a fantastic achievement for all, well done.

For further information, or to contact the team to ask for an assessment of need, see: Contact SEND support .

Direct Payments: buying care services

If your child is eligible for services, you may have the option of receiving a direct payment as an alternative to some Social Care services provided by the local authority. This is a cash payment and is paid directly to you. You have the flexibility of arranging and paying for services your child needs, subject to certain conditions, see: Direct payments .

Minor adaptations in the home

The Accessible Homes Agency can help you to apply for a Minor Works Grant of up to £1,000, which is not means tested. Minor works include grab rails inside or outside the house, lever handles for taps and rocker light switches. For more information contact: Accessible homes .

An occupational therapist can assess a child's or young person's needs for specialist equipment to help them be as independent as possible, see: Specialist equipment .

Major adaptations in the home

The Accessible Homes Agency can help you to apply for a Major Works Grant (Disabled Facilities Grant), which is not means tested for children. Major works include level access showers, stair lifts, through floor lifts, ramps and ceiling track hoists.

For more information contact: Accessible homes .

An occupational therapist assess a child’s or young person's needs for specialist equipment to help them be as independent as possible, see: Specialist equipment .

Short Breaks

A short break can give disabled children, young people and adults the opportunity to enjoy different experiences, either with or without their parents / carers. They also give the parents / carers a break. Breaks can last from a couple of hours to several days.

For children and young people

Short breaks for children and young people aged 0 to 19 years can take the form of daytime or night time support, or leisure activities away from home, or even a family holiday at accommodation specially adapted for disabled children and young people, see: Short breaks for children .

For adults

Shared Lives of Calderdale provide short breaks for adults, plus long term care and daytime support. This can be either at the carer's home, or the home of the person being cared for, see: Short breaks for adults .

Transition to adults social care

If your child is supported by the DCT, you can talk to your social worker or nurse about transition planning. Support is available for disabled adults through Adults Health and Social Care and can include support to find appropriate accommodation, work and leisure opportunities. A small team of specialist nurses is also available to support people with complex health care needs.

For more information, Gateway to Care .

Useful to young people making the transition to adult care and their families, the Social Care and Wellbeing Hub includes information on local providers and what they can offer. It also includes details of groups and voluntary organisations in Calderdale, plus a guide to 'What's on'.

Transport and mobility

Disabled (blue badge) parking

The Blue Badge scheme helps you park closer to your destination if you have severe mobility problems. You may also qualify for a disabled parking bay outside of your home. The scheme is open to eligible disabled people irrespective of whether they are travelling as a driver or as a passenger. For details on criteria and how to apply for a blue badge or a disabled parking bay, see: Disabled (blue badge) parking .

Blind and Disabled Travel Pass 

Eligible Calderdale residents are entitled to a free concessionary travel pass. You can apply for, or renew, a pass at Customer First offices in Halifax, Brighouse and Todmorden.

Disabled pass:

  • Free, off-peak bus travel throughout England
  • Half-fare, off-peak train travel in West Yorkshire

Blind pass:

  • Free travel on buses and trains at any time in West Yorkshire
  • Free travel on buses at off-peak times throughout the rest of England

Full details can be found on the Metro website: West Yorkshire Metro: Blind and disabled passes .

If you are unable to travel on your own you may be entitled to a special pass so that a companion can travel with you within West Yorkshire. Your companion does not need to be the same person for every journey. If you travel outside West Yorkshire your companion will be asked to pay the fare.