Post 16 choices

Discussions about a child’s choices at 16 begin in Year 9 when your child’s development is reviewed.

This review is special as it begins to look at your child's dreams and ideas for the future. The Year 9 review is called a Positive Transition Review .

Most disabled young people can have their needs met within their local mainstream school sixth form or college. All schools have a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) who is responsible for ensuring the needs of your child are met, and colleges have a Learning Support Manager performing a similar role.

Your child may decide that they want to study further and attend a college or university. Financial help in the form of allowances are available to SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) students: Disabled students allowance .

Mainstream schools have resources for children with additional needs, known as the Notional SEN budget, providing for flexibility of approach. At college this resource is known as the Additional Learning Support budget and, as at schools, allows for a flexible approach to educational support.

Careers education, information, advice and guidance

Impartial careers guidance is provided by C&K Careers to all young people in all Calderdale secondary schools. They have a Learning Difficulties and Disabilities (LDD) team who are experienced in working with young people who have a range of additional needs. The team also works with young people with LDD who are educated outside Calderdale.

Careers advisers begin working with young people in year 8 or 9, helping to prepare for the future. They will attend reviews held in school and be available to discuss options with you. The help they provide can extend beyond school age as they also provide support in Further Education (eg Calderdale College) and have a post dedicated to working with young people with learning difficulties / disabilities up to 25 years old.

There is a Careers Centre in Halifax that has public access through the week, and specialist support for young people with additional needs is available there: C&K Careers .

Further education

Talk to your careers adviser about the courses available. All colleges are happy for you to look around and ask questions - contact the college direct to arrange a visit and find out more:

Flexible 5 Day Offer

A scheme for students with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan to experience a positive transition from school to college and employment within the Calderdale area. For more about this, please read:PDFFlexible 5 Day Offer [PDF 151KB]. You can also view an example PDFFlexible 5 day offer - example timetable May 2017 [PDF 273KB] .

You can apply for a place on The Flexible 5 Day Offer using the PDF5 Day Offer Referral [PDF 252KB]form.

SEND complaints: guide for young people aged 16 to 25 in education

For young people aged 16 to 25 who want to know who to talk to if you are unhappy with the help you are getting for your special educational needs or disability at school or college.

SEND complaints guide

Transport assistance for Post 16 learners with Special Educational Needs

Learners with an Education Health and Care plan are supported up to aged 25 years, subject to finance, see: Learners with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities for further details.

For more on the Post-16 Transport Policy and application for learners with Special Educational Needs, see: Learners with Special Educational Needs .

Council employment schemes

The Council runs several schemes to help young people gain worthwhile employment and make a valuable contribution. You must be over 18 to access the following training services. They can sometimes arrange work experience at Flutterbites for younger people, if they are supported through school.

  • Post-16 options ;
  • Customer service opportunities in catering at the Flutter Bites cafe in Halifax. This is a working café in Manor Heath Park and offers customer service work experience to people with a learning disability, who want to gain experience in a busy café environment. The café offers paid employment opportunities, when vacancies arise. Contact Gwen Dean or Jayne Adams on: 01422 362112 (not at lunchtime as they are busy), or Helen Priestley on mobile: 07867 746628.

Calderdale Adult Learning (CAL) courses

CAL offers a range of courses for adults with learning disabilities aged 19+ in a safe and friendly environment. Courses include: Art, Cookery, Maths, English, First Aid and Food Safety.

We are always interested in meeting the needs of the community, so if you have any ideas of courses you would like to see running then please let us know. For more details on any of our courses, see: Adult Learning Courses .

Independent educational institutions

For some young people there may be times when their needs cannot be met by a local mainstream provider and a more specialist provider may be more appropriate.

To help you identify the most appropriate post-16 specialist provider, the Government has compiled a list of educational establishments: List of approved special institutions .

For more about providers on the list, contact: SEND support .

For more information and advice on the choices available at 16, see: Post-16 options .

See also