Sport for All - Calderdale
Taster day at North Bridge Leisure Centre
Saturday 21st July - 9-30am to 1-30pm
£3.50 per person…. stay as long as you wish. No age limit.
There are many leisure activities in Calderdale for children, young people and adults with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities). There are places to go, groups to join and things to do! Here you can find activities run by us and others.
Please check our Facebook page for details: Calderdale Local Offer .
We are always looking for new and existing activities we can include for children and young people with SEND. If you know any we can include, please contact the Local Offer team .
Fun swim, dance and trampoline sessions
- Free sessions for disabled children and young people aged 5-18 years. These will help your children to have good experiences. They will gain confidence in the water and find new friendships. They take place at Brighouse Pool, Woodvale Road, Brighouse, HD6 4AX. For more details see: Fun Swim .
- Inclusive sport, dance & play sessions are free of charge. They are delivered by coaches and staff from Calderdale Sports Services and Calderdale Play Development Service. They will take place at Todmorden Sports Centre on Wednesdays between 3.45pm - 4.30pm. For details of dates see: Flamingo Chicks .
- Trampolining provides a host of stimulating sensory experiences. Your child can enjoy the sensation that bouncing on a trampoline brings. They can learn new skills and feel a sense of achievement, while they gain confidence. For more on this, see: Trampolining Sessions .
Gig Buddies is a new initiative. It aims to promote social inclusion among people who have a learning disability. This is by lowering the barriers they face around access to social activities. This can be going to the theatre, cinema, live music or any other leisure time activity. For more details, visit: Gig Buddies .
Top award for disability sports
We have received an impressive regional accolade for our disability sports programme.
At Disability Sport Yorkshire's Annual Awards, the Council received the 'Outstanding Local Authority Award'. This recognises the exceptional and inclusive service development and support for disabled young people and adults.
We have been working to promote disability sports. To make sure anyone with additional needs can fully take part in our varied activities.
For the full press release, please read: Top award for disability sports [PDF 133KB] .
Leisure centres and pools
For all activities at Calderdale leisure centres and pools, please see: Activities and classes .
Some activities are designed for children and young people with SEND:
- Sports Zone at the North Bridge Leisure Centre, Halifax [PDF 204KB]
- Disability swimming lessons are run in 10 week blocks and are held at Brighouse Swimming Pool and Halifax Swimming Pool. For more details, see: Activities and classes ;
- 'Gifted and Talented' sessions: a free weekly multi skills club. This is held at the North Bridge Leisure Centre on Thursdays, 4pm to 5pm. Contact Debbie Greenwood by email: email@example.com , or by phone: 01422 341527;
- Disability sport programme [PDF 1465KB]
Facilities and Equipment
Our leisure centres and pools have the equipment needed to assist any disabled person to access the facility and activity. All staff working at Calderdale leisure and fitness centres are trained in the use of the equipment.
|Venue||Steps||Mobile Hoist (poolside)||Disabled changing area with mobile hoist||Changing bed|
|Halifax pool||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes with maxi hoist|
|Sowerby Bridge pool and fitness centre||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes with maxi hoist|
|Brighouse pool and fitness centre||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes with maxi hoist|
|Todmorden pool and fitness centre||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|North Bridge Leisure Centre||No swimming pool at this venue. There is a mobile hoist to help access various activities, such as trampolining. Also for moving and handling requirements that arise with disability sport programmes.|
Activities, courses and social & sports clubs
Details of the various different leisure activities available:
- Leisure groups and activities for children and young people [PDF 159KB] (14th June 2018 update) . A range of inclusive activities for children and young people up to 17 years old;
- Leisure groups and activities for adults [PDF 101KB] . A selection of inclusive activities, courses and social & sports clubs for adults aged 18 years and over;
- Do Something! . Do Something helps you to plan an action packed holiday with children and young people in Calderdale;
- Family Services Directory . Information on family leisure activities, such as the Active Fun Centre and Calderdale Cougars;
- Social Care and Wellbeing Hub . Details of a wide selection of things to do, mainly for adults;
You might also find useful:
- Allotments . Working on an allotment is a great way to socialise, exercise and enjoy the fresh air. Everyone is welcome to apply. You do not need any previous experience as most sites have experienced tenants who will gladly share their knowledge, if required. For more details or an informal chat, contact: Diane Atha, Lettings Assistant, Safer Cleaner Greener, Spring Hall Mansion, phone: 01422 284412, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org ;
- Eureka . See what events are taking place at Eureka!
- Mayfield Trust . Every year, the Mayfield Trust provide two weeks of summer holiday fun, learning and laughter. This is for children and young people with mild to profound learning difficulties and other complex needs;
- Passport to Leisure / Orange Dot scheme. An orange dot is put onto your Passport to Leisure card, which allows a carer free admittance to some facilities;
- Play Development Service . Free open access inclusive play sessions for children and young people aged 5 to 14 years old. These are run across Calderdale;
- Saturday Splat [PDF 210KB] . A group for children with additional needs, their parents and carers, and their siblings of any age.