There are many leisure activities in Calderdale for children, young people and adults with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) - places to go, groups to join, and things to do. Here are links to activities run by Calderdale Council, or other organisations. Check our Facebook page for details: Calderdale Local Offer .
We are always looking for new and existing activities we can include for children and young people with SEND. If you know any we can include, please contact the Local Offer team .
Fun swim, dance and trampoline sessions
- Free sessions for disabled children and young people aged 5-18 years. Sessions will help to promote positive experiences for children, gaining confidence in the water, developing friendships and encouraging social activities. Sessions will take place at Brighouse Pool, Woodvale Road, Brighouse, HD6 4AX. For more details: Brighouse fun swim leaflet [PDF 157KB]
- Inclusive sport, dance & play sessions are free of charge. They are delivered by coaches and staff from Calderdale Sports Services and Calderdale Play Development Service. They will take place at Todmorden Sports Centre on Wednesdays between 3.45pm - 4.30pm. For details of dates: Inclusive sports dance Todmorden leaflet [PDF 169KB]
- Trampolining provides a host of stimulating sensory experiences. Your child can enjoy the sensation that bouncing on a trampoline brings, acquiring new skills and developing a sense of achievement and self confidence. Find out more at Trampoline sessions at North Bridge Leisure Centre [PDF 139KB]
Gig Buddies is a new initiative within Calderdale. It aims to promote social inclusion among people who have a learning disability. The scheme aims to reduce barriers faced by people with a learning disability, in relation to accessing social activities. These have been identified as attending the theatre, cinema, live music and anything else that a person may wish to engage with in their leisure time. For more information, visit: Gig Buddies .
Top award for disability sports
Calderdale Council has received an impressive regional accolade for its disability sports programme.
At the Disability Sport Yorkshire Annual Awards, the Council received the Outstanding Local Authority Award, recognising the exceptional and inclusive service development and support for disabled young people and adults.
Calderdale Council has been working to promote disability sports and ensure that all those with additional needs can take part fully in a variety of different programmes and sessions.
To read the full press release see: Top award for disability sports [PDF 133KB] .
Calderdale Leisure centres and pools
Sports Services have introduced a membership project aimed at assisting and promoting the inclusion of children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities – find out more SEND Gym membership information [PDF 62KB]
For all activities at Calderdale leisure centres and pools, see: Activities and classes .
Some activities are designed for children and young people with SEND:
- Sports Zone at the North Bridge Leisure Centre, Halifax [PDF 204KB]
- Disability swimming lessons are run in 10 week blocks and are held at Brighouse Swimming Pool and Halifax Swimming Pool. For more details, see: Activities and classes ;
- 'Gifted and Talented' sessions: a free weekly multi skills club. This is held at the North Bridge Leisure Centre on Thursdays, 4pm to 5pm. Contact Debbie Greenwood by email: firstname.lastname@example.org , or by phone: 01422 341527;
- Disability sport programme [PDF 1465KB]
- Disability sport directory [PDF 1801KB]
Facilities and Equipment
All Calderdale leisure centres and pools have appropriate auxiliary equipment to assist disabled children, young people and adults to access their chosen facility and activity. All staff working at Calderdale leisure and fitness centres are trained in the use of the equipment.
|Venue||Steps||Mobile Hoist (poolside)||Disabled changing area with mobile hoist||Changing bed|
|Halifax pool||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes with maxi hoist|
|Sowerby Bridge pool and fitness centre||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes with maxi hoist|
|Brighouse pool and fitness centre||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes with maxi hoist|
|Todmorden pool and fitness centre||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|North Bridge Leisure Centre||No swimming pool at this venue. There is a mobile hoist to help access various activities, such as trampolining, along with any moving and handling requirements which may arise during the delivery of disability sport programmes.|
Activities, courses, and social and sports clubs
Details of the various different leisure activities available:
Leisure groups and activities for children and young people [PDF 108KB]
A range of inclusive activities for children and young people up to 17 years old;
Leisure groups and activities for adults [PDF 101KB]
A selection of inclusive activities, courses, social and sports clubs for adults aged 18 years and over;
Do Something helps you to plan an action packed holiday with children and young people in Calderdale;
Family Services Directory
Information on family leisure activities, such as the Active Fun Centre and Calderdale Cougars;
Social Care and Wellbeing Hub
Details of a wide selection of things to do, mainly for adults;
You might also find useful:
Working on an allotment is a great way to socialise, exercise and enjoy the fresh air. Everyone is welcome to apply. You do not need any previous experience as most sites have experienced tenants who will gladly share their knowledge, if required. For further information or an informal chat, contact: Diane Atha, Lettings Assistant, Safer Cleaner Greener, Spring Hall Mansion, phone: 01422 284412, or email: email@example.com;
See what events are taking place at Eureka!
Every year, the Mayfield Trust provide two weeks of summer holiday fun, learning and laughter. This is for children and young people with mild to profound learning difficulties and other complex needs;
Passport to Leisure/Orange Dot scheme
An orange dot is put onto your Passport to Leisure card, which allows a carer free admittance to some facilities;
Play Development Service
Free open access inclusive play sessions for children and young people aged 5 to 14 years old. These are run across Calderdale;
Saturday Splat [PDF 210KB]
A group for children with additional needs, their parents and carers, and their siblings of any age.