Every child is unique and develops at their own pace and will meet their developmental milestones a little earlier or later than their friends. If you are concerned about your child's behaviour, it will help to discuss this with the people who know your child best. Your health visitor, school nurse or Doctor (also known as your GP), will be able to give you more information about these services:

Calderdale Council and Calderdale Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) have created a website and mobile app to provide information and advice for parents, visit: Healthy early years - A parent's guide from birth to five .

Healthy Early Years

Getting medical help

There are three phone numbers you should know:

  • 111;
  • Your Doctor's surgery; and
  • 999 for life threatening emergencies.

The NHS 111 service is a fast, easy, and free way for people to get the right help. Whatever the health need is, 24-hours a day. You should use this number if:

  • you need medical care fast, but it is not an emergency; or
  • you need health information, or reassurance about what to do next.

If you have difficulties communicating or hearing, you can use the NHS 111 service through a Textphone on: 18001 111.

If you suffer from a chronic health condition, it would be helpful to prepare a 'text template' and store it in your phone to use when needed.

Additional medical and health services

General NHS support

  • Get Your Rights
    An interactive and accessible website helping explain to children and young people their rights when using the NHS, developed in partnership and co-produced with children and young people. It includes videos from young people telling their stories about how the rights have made a difference to them, and messages from professionals explaining why they value young people’s rights. It also has advice on what to do if young people are concerned their rights haven’t been respected.

  • Doctors
    Your doctor (GP) provides the first point of contact for most medical services. They can advise, treat and refer patients with any medical or emotional difficulties, visit: Find your GP .
  • Health visitors
    Every family with a child under five has a named health visitor. They offer support and encouragement to families through the early years from pregnancy and birth to primary school and beyond, and where children are diagnosed with additional medical needs and require specialist support. You can access your health visitor through your GP surgery or your local health centre or clinic. To find your local health services, visit: Locala Calderdale Public Health Early Years’ Service (PHEYS) .
  • School nurses and the Special School Nursing Team
    School nurses work with school age children and their teachers, parents and carers to make sure children and young people remain healthy. The Calderdale school nurses have a particular focus on the management of long term conditions in schools. As well as providing support in schools, they can provide individual support for you and your child, from advice on health issues to referring your child to specialist services. For more information and further links, see: School Nurses .

    The Special School nursing team is managed within the Children’s Community Nursing Team by Calderdale and Huddersfield Foundation Trust. They offer support, advice and early intervention over a wide range of health related matters, with care tailored to meet individual need as well as offering health advice on a wide range of topics. The special school nursing team are based in Woodbank School, Highbury School and Ravenscliffe School and they an be contacted through your child's school telephone number. PDFThe Special School Nursing Team [PDF 55KB]

  • Dentists
    It is very important that you take your child to visit a dentist from an early age. This will get them used to the sounds and smells of the dental surgery and will make them feel more comfortable with visits throughout their life. If you do not have a Dentist, visit: Find a Dentist .

    Locala Dental Services have been specifically designed for children, young people and adults with special needs who can’t be seen within the general dental service. They also provide emergency care for unregistered children up to their 16th birthday. They also provide theseservices:

    • inhalation sedation in central clinics; and
    • home visits for housebound patients.

    General anaesthetics for dental treatment and extractions are carried out at local hospitals and are for certain patient groups only.

    Their premises are fully accessible for patients with disabilities. In Calderdale they have a service at:

    St Johns Health Centre,Lightowler Road, Halifax. HX1 5NB.


    Todmorden Health Centre,Off Halifax Road, Lower George Street, Todmorden. OL14 5QG.

    See their recent inspection report from the Care Quality Commission: PDFLocala CQC Report - Todmorden December 2016 [PDF 164KB] .

    For further information, phone on: 030 3330 9750, or visit: Locala dental services .

  • Leaving hospital packs
    Information packs are available to help patients in specialist learning disability, or mental health, hospital services when planning to leave hospital.

    • The Independence Pack has lots of useful information including:
      • When will I be discharged?
      • Where will I live?
      • Getting help from an advocate
      • Who will support me?
      • What are my rights?
      • What services can I use in the community?
      • What if things don’t go to plan?

      Download the Independence Pack here: Independence pack .


    • The Leaving Hospital Planner helps you work with others to make good plans for leaving hospital. You can use it to record information that you and the people who support you need to know about your hopes and choices as part of the plan. It also helps you keep track of meetings and who is doing what to make the plan happen.
      Download the Leaving Home Planner here: Discharge Planner .


Calderdale Council health services

Although many services are provided by the NHS, some are provided by Calderdale Council such as:

  • Specialist Inclusion Service (SIS) - This service provides support and intervention for children and young people aged 0-19 years with hearing, visual and multi-sensory impairment, physical impairments and Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Support is provided in the home, pre-school setting or through school and links with parents and carers are maintained. For more information, see: Specialist Inclusion Service .
  • Habilitation - This team sits within the Specialist Inclusion team and works specifically with children and young people who have a significant visual impairment. The Habilitation Specialists and Assistant work alongside the Qualified Teachers of the Visually Impaired to ensure children and young people maximise their potential. The Habilitation Specialist offers support and training in all aspects of mobility and independence. This might include keeping safe, long cane training, personal care, cookery as well as social and emotional support. For more information, read: PDFHabilitation Provision in Calderdale [PDF 198KB] . Referrals can be made directly to the service by phone on: 01422 394136, or made through the young persons Qualified Teacher of the Visually Impaired.
  • Known children with medical needs (KCME) team - KCME provide education to children and young people who are unable to attend schools, for a long period, due to medical needs. This would happen at a suitable venue, such as at home, within a school or centre, or on the Calderdale Royal Children's ward. For more information see: Children with medical needs .


Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA)

Life-saving advice for everyone, everywhere! For ideas on keeping under-5s safe, visit: Keeping Kids Safe . They also have a wealth of information across all areas of accident prevention including safety on the road, at home, at work and leisure at play and in schools and colleges. For more information, contact:


Healthwatch Calderdale

An independent charity who gather and represent the views of adults, young people and children who are using health and social care services in Calderdale. Get in touch to let them know what’s working well and what needs to be changed; they will use your feedback to:

  • tell services about your experiences of care and hold them to account;
  • investigate problems and seek solutions;
  • have a say in how local services are delivered and designed.