Choosing the right school for your child is a very important decision, particularly when your child has special educational needs or a disability. It may help to talk this through with your family and friends and with other parents of children with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).

You are welcome to look around potential schools and to take your time making a decision. The experience gained by Calderdale parents recommend that you visit your child's school and establish good communication with the school.

If you feel that your child's needs are not being met, you can get independent advice from the Calderdale SENDIASS .

Calderdale schools

Most children and young people with SEND have their needs met within their local mainstream school.

All schools have a Special Educational needs Coordinator (SENCo), who is responsible for ensuring the needs of your child are met. All mainstream schools have resources for children with additional needs, known as the Notional SEN budget, that provide for a flexible approach.

Schools are required to provide up to £6,000, dependent on need, towards provision for pupil with SEN. The level of support your child requires will be assessed by the school.

You can search for schools by name, postal district and type, to find head teachers, addresses, web sites, each school's SEND information, maps and links to Ofsted reports and performance tables.

Calderdale Core Offer

Information for parents and carers detailing the SEN support children and young people can receive regardless of which school/academy they attend in Calderdale; this outlines the support provided by the school, and partners. This information should be read alongside individual schools’ local offer which will provide more details about how each area will be addressed:

Search for schools

Resourced schools

There are some mainstream schools in Calderdale which have extra resources for children with specialist needs:

Specialist need Primary school Secondary school
Autistic Spectrum Disorder

Central Street Infant and Nursery

Cliffe Hill Community Primary School

Sowerby Bridge High School

Special schools

Calderdale also has three special schools. They provide high quality, specialist support for children with more complex needs.

Primary special schools: Highbury and Wood Bank

Both Highbury and Wood Bank are generic special schools that take children, between the ages of two and 11 years of age, with a wide range of special needs . Both schools offer a broad and balanced curriculum and can provide a high level of care provision and support. The schools are modern buildings on one level. Highbury has a hydrotherapy pool.

Secondary special school: Ravenscliffe

A generic special school, Ravenscliffe High School and Sports College takes pupils, from 11 to 19 years of age, who have special needs.

The school offers a broad and balanced curriculum that reflects the requirements of the National Curriculum. Emphasis is placed on teaching basic skills and 'life skills' to help students when they leave school.

The school is in a building on one level and has a hydrotherapy pool. It is situated at Skircoat Green, Halifax.

Some students may choose to leave once they reach 16 and go on to college, although the majority do stay on into the sixth form. The school has links with Calderdale College and the Calderdale and Kirklees Careers Service, with opportunities to join work experience schemes where this is practicable.

Special Education Provision (including Section 41: Secretary of State approved list)

Sometimes the needs of a child or young person may need a more specialist provider. The Department for Education has compiled a list of independent educational institutions which may be more appropriate, see:  List of approved special institutions .

Calderdale also have a number of children and young people with Education Health and Care plans attending a mainstream or special school in neighbouring authorities*:

There are also a small number of children and young people with Education Health and Care plans placed in non maintained independent schools in another authority as we are unable to meet their needs locally*:

The Calderdale Pupil Referral Unit meets the needs of children and young people who are unable to continue their education in a mainstream setting. Places are allocated following discussions with the Exclusions Officer.

For more on these providers, please contact: SEND support .

*Based on data from autumn 2017 term: to be updated summer 2018

Specialist Inclusion Service

Support can also provided for children and young people with hearing, visual, multi-sensory, physical impairments and Autistic Spectrum Disorders from birth to transferring to adult services.

For more details, see: Specialist Inclusion Service .

Educational Psychology Service

Calderdale MBC provide the 0 - 25 statutory duties for educational psychology input. This is in relation to the provision of advice and information for Education and Health Care assessments (EHC). The 2014 Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Code of Practice outlines this. For more details, read:

Accessibility Strategy

All local authorities are required to put in place an accessibility strategy for students with SEND:

Additional Support Services

  • Home to school transport - Provided by the Access team within the Council.
  • The KCME (Known children with medical needs) team - Provide education to children and young people who cannot attend school on a long term basis due to medical needs, see: Children with medical needs .
  • CSIE - An independent centre supporting inclusive education for all children.
  • Financial help for disabled students - How to apply for a disabled students' allowance.
  • IPSEA - A registered charity offering free and independent legally based information, advice and support for parents.
  • National Portage Association - Support and information to parents and professionals involved in Portage.
  • The Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) - A dedicated information, advice and support service exclusively for parents in the armed forces who have a child with special educational needs. A child must be resident with at least one parent who is currently serving in HM Armed Forces.

For more on Further Education, employment schemes, careers and adult learning, see: Post 16 choices .

See also