Benefits, grants and discounts

There are a number of national organisations that you can contact for advice on benefits.

There are also some that give grants for items, like:

  • specialist furniture;
  • minor adaptations in the home;
  • clothing;
  • bedding;
  • electrical appliances;
  • sensory toys;
  • and family breaks.



Benefits calculator

This is an independent benefits calculator to find out:

  • what benefits you could get;
  • how to claim;
  • and how your benefits will be affected if you start work.


This is free to use, anonymous and has replaced the Benefits Adviser service.


Calderdale Council Benefits Unit

To see if you can get a Council Tax reduction , Housing Benefit or Free School Meals , phone: 01422 288003.


Calderdale Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The General Advice team give advice on Habitual Residency and Right to Reside benefit issues:


They have a very high success rate of challenging incorrect benefit awards and over payment decisions. They can also help you to fill out form for:


They also offer support for other issues, including:


They aim is to empower clients to resolve their own problems.


Carers allowance

You could get a weekly payment, if:

  • you care for someone at least 35 hours a week;
  • and they get certain benefits.


Carers Credit

You could get Carer’s Credit if you are caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week.


Child Benefit

You get Child Benefit if you are responsible for:

  • a child under 16;
  • or a child under 20, if they stay in approved education or training.


Childcare Choices

All about Government help with childcare costs, which includes:

  • 15 to 30 hours free childcare;
  • Tax-free childcare;
  • Tax Credits;
  • Universal Credit;
  • vouchers;
  • and support while you study.


Whether you have toddlers or teens, see if you could get support.


Contact a Family

Advice on how to apply for benefits, which include:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA);
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP);
  • Universal Credit;
  • Carer’s Allowance;
  • and Tax Credits.


Disability Living Allowance for Children

This may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16 and has:
    • difficulties walking;
    • or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability.


To see if you are eligible, visit: Eligibility (

To see the current rates, visit: DLA rates for children (



These are responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy and are the UK’s biggest public service department.

It administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill-health benefits.


Personal Independence Payment (was Disability Living Allowance)

This helps with some extra costs caused by long-term ill-health, or a disability, if you are aged 16 - 64.


Tax Credits

You could get Child Tax Credit for each child you are responsible for, if they are:

  • under 16;
  • or under 20 and in approved education or training.


You may also be entitled to Working Tax Credit.




Their grant scheme funds up to 80% of the cost of equipment and services.

This is to help make life easier and more enjoyable for children with neurological conditions.


Family Fund

Offer grants for families with severely disabled children.

Visit their site for details on applying for a grant and what it can be used for.


Yorkshire Children's Trust

Offers grants for home modifications, respite holidays, travel costs, baby items, white goods and medical equipment.



BT Basic

A low-cost service for people on low incomes who may otherwise find it difficult to afford a home phone line. For more about this, please read: FileBT Basic overview .


Travel Expenses

You may be able to claim help with the costs for travel to and from appointments, if you have:

  • a low income;
  • or receive certain benefits or tax credits.


Contact the Early Years and Child Sufficiency team , or Calderdale's Citizens Advice Bureau by phone: 01422 842848.


Always open first panel: