Running your childcare provision

Starting up and running your own childcare provision can be rewarding, but there are many things to consider. We have put together some information and guidance to help you.



You can also contact the Early Years Learning and Childcare team for advice and guidance.


Advertise your childcare provision

To advertise your childcare service for free, please contact the: Early Years Learning and Childcare team .

We will take details of your service, including vacancies, opening hours, fees, school pick-ups etc and store them on our database.

Information will be sent to parents and professionals seeking advice about childcare and early years provision in Calderdale.

To view your details, please see: Childcare search .


Marketing your business

We can also support with advice on marketing your business. Before doing any marketing, you need to decide what your unique selling point is. This is what makes your business different to others in the area. It is important that you know where your business is coming from. This will tell you how effective your marketing activities have been. The key to success is understanding and meeting your customers’ needs and regularly reviewing and updating this information. For on the childcare market in Calderdale, please see: Childcare sufficiency assessment .


    Nursery milk scheme

    Under this scheme, children under five can receive 189 ml (1/3 pint) of milk, free of charge. This is for each day they attend approved day care facilities for 2 hours or more.

    Babies under 12 months old can receive dried baby milk made up to 189ml (1/3 pint) instead.

    Day care providers, approved to supply milk under this scheme, can be reimbursed the cost of the milk they supply. For more details of the scheme, please visit: Nursery milk scheme .


    HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)

    HMRC offer a range of e-learning packages, webinars and videos aimed to help you with Tax, National Insurance, record keeping and registering:


    • Tax advice for childminders : An e-learning package which covers topics including record keeping, national insurance and business expenses.
    • Becoming an employer : A guide for new employers, ideal for childminders looking to set up their own nursery and want to find out more about the responsibilities an employer has when taking on their first employees.


    Webinars and video guides

    • Self employed and HMRC - what you need to know : An HMRC guide to help understand tax and national insurance obligations, and the special tax concessions available for childminders. It covers topics including registering, national insurance, record keeping, expenses and allowances, and completing your tax return.
    • Getting started as an employer : A guide for new employers when starting to take on your first employees.
    • HM Revenue and Customs You tube channel : HMRC's You Tube channel has a series of 'bite sized' videos. These include a 10 minute video specifically for childminders, within the HMRC guides for customers section.


    Other guides


    Additional information

    • PDFVoluntary management committee handbook [PDF 358KB] : This aims to help new members, and those who are unfamiliar with the childcare sector, to understand the context in which management committees operate and signpost organisations and resources that may assist you.
    • AGM Presentation template: We have also developed a presentation template which will assist committee members in preparing for their AGM. This is available from the Early Years Learning and Childcare team .
    • PACEY: Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years : A wide range of support to help childminders deliver high quality home based childcare, play, learning and family support.
    • Foundation years : For those working in foundation years to deliver services to children and families going through pregnancy or who have children aged 0 to 5 years. It provides information developed by government, professionals, and the voluntary and community sector.
    • Food standards agency : An independent government department, responsible for food safety and hygiene across the UK. The department works with businesses to help them produce safe food, and with local authorities to enforce food safety regulations.


    See also