The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) was created to set the standards for the learning, development and care of all children from birth through to five years old. All early years providers are required to follow these standards. We have put together some examples of documentation which are designed to support best practice. You can include these in your current systems:
- Tracker update;
- Unique child progress check;
- Observation proforma;
- Continuous provision;
- The Quality Improvement and Support team;
- Additional information.
The Learning and Development Tracker reflects the Early Years Outcomes and the order of the Early Years Learning Goals. The Characteristics of Effective Learning are an essential element of children's learning and development, and must be developed throughout a child's Early Years.
The banding boxes, indicating the child's chronological age, support a quick comparison between chronological and developmental age.
The numbering of statements is purely for referencing observations and record keeping. These should not be used as a checklist for the ordering of developmental progress.
The trackers can be printed from this document or can be purchased at £1.00 per set (child) from the Early Years Quality Improvement Support team:
The Unique Child Progress Check provides a format for reporting children's progress in the EYFS across all three Prime Areas of Learning and Development, as well as their Characteristics of Effective Learning. It can be used to review a child's progress at any point, for reporting to parents and to support transitions. This format meets all the requirements for the 'Progress Check at Age 2', as required by the statutory requirements for the EYFS 2012, and as such parents should be encouraged to share these with their health visitor.
There are four versions of the Observation proforma, which all reflect the changes within Development Matters:
- Bubble observation proforma; [DOC 52KB]
- Short observation proforma [DOC 52KB]
- Long observation proforma; [DOC 48KB]
- Learning story observation proforma. [DOC 44KB]
This reflects the changes within the Development Matters guidance and is suitable for use across all age ranges. Two versions are available. The blank sheet document contains generic information that can be used across all areas of provision and the worked example is a completed example to show the types of information you may wish to include. Continuous provision sheets remain the Long Term Planning for each area of provision.
The Quality Improvement and Support Team can offer advice, support and guidance on all aspects of running an Early Years or childcare service, including:
- Meeting the statutory requirements of EYFS;
- The Childcare Registers (CCR) and the Voluntary Childcare Register (VCR);
- Early Years agenda in schools and Governor run childcare provision on school sites;
- Early Intervention;
- Forthcoming or recent Ofsted inspections;
- Advice on starting / expanding your business, raising quality standards, and training, advice and support;
- Safe recruitment, selection and supervision of staff and DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) information and support / signposting;
- Support for Voluntary Committees or other management groups;
- Drawing up action plans;
- Support and mentoring with two Quality Assurance Schemes – STEPS to Quality for group settings (including Out of Schools Clubs - OOSC) and Professional Association for childcare and Early Years (Pacey) for Registered Childminders;
- Pre-registration training for people interested in becoming a registered childminder;
- Safeguarding / child protection issues including where allegations have been made against staff.
A couple of booklets are available for purchase at £5.00 each:
- A EYFS booklet which contains the statutory framework for EYFS;
- A Policy and Procedures booklet which helps providers to write quality policies and procedures for their individual settings.
Quality Improvement and Support Officers are based across Calderdale in locality areas. To get in touch with an officer in your area, contact:
- Username Gill Holden
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone 01422 394193
- Ofsted have a common inspection framework for all inspections, including early years settings: Ofsted common inspection framework ;
- Information on the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Framework is available from Early Years Foundation Stage framework ;
- Calderdale Local Offer for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities is a practical guide for children and young people parents, carers and professionals: