The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) was created to set the standards for the learning, development and care of all children from birth to five years old. All early years providers are required to follow these standards. We have put together some examples of documentation which are designed to support best practice. You can include these in your current systems:
- Tracker update ;
- Unique child progress check ;
- Observation proforma ;
- Continuous provision ;
- The Quality Improvement and Support team ;
- Additional information .
The Learning and Development Tracker reflects the Early Years Outcomes and the order of the Early Years Learning Goals. The Characteristics of Effective Learning are an essential element of children's learning and development and must be developed throughout a child's Early Years.
The banding boxes, indicating the child's chronological age, support a quick comparison between chronological and developmental age.
The numbering of statements is purely for referencing observations and record keeping. These should not be used as a checklist for the ordering of developmental progress.
The trackers can be printed from this document or can be purchased at £1 per set (child) from the Early Years Quality Improvement Support team :
The Unique Child Progress Check provides a format for reporting children's progress in the EYFS across all three Prime Areas of Learning and Development, as well as their Characteristics of Effective Learning. It can be used to review a child's progress at any point, for reporting to parents and to support transitions. This format meets all the requirements for the 'Progress Check at Age 2', as required by the statutory requirements for the EYFS 2017. As such, parents should be encouraged to share these with their health visitor.
There are four versions of the Observation proforma, which all reflect the changes within Development Matters:
- Bubble observation proforma [DOC 52KB]
- Short observation proforma [DOC 52KB]
- Long observation proforma [DOC 48KB]
- Learning story observation proforma [DOC 44KB]
Two versions are available. The blank sheet document contains generic information that can be used across all areas of provision and the worked example is a completed example to show the types of information you may wish to include. Continuous provision sheets remain the Long Term Planning for each area of provision.
A Quality Improvement and Support Officer (QISO) offers advice, support, guidance and information to early years and childcare providers, childminders, pre-schools, day nurseries, out of school clubs, 2 year old units and maintained nurseries. We have a wide breadth of experience within the team and we work with the sector as a critical friend to challenge practice and support development of provision to meet children and family’s needs. We work alongside the Childcare Sufficiency Team and Portage and Early Years Support Teacher’s Team to provide a seamless service.
The Quality Improvement and Support Team can offer advice, support and guidance on all aspects of running an Early Years or childcare service, including:
- Focus Visits including; Two Year Offer, Safeguarding and Welfare Requirements, DCATCH, OOSC, Learning and Development including planning, observation and assessment, observing practice, Two Year Old Assessment and Integrated Review.
- Network meetings including; Voluntary Management Committees, Out of School Club Network, Early Years Manages, Childminder Meetings and drop in sessions.
- Starting up or expanding your childcare provision the QISO team will offer support to new and existing providers to open or expand their childcare provision, including training perspective Childminders.
- Support Tools to purchase including; EYFS Trackers, Policy and Procedure Guidance.
For more on the support the QISO team offers, please read: QISO guide [PDF 262KB] .
Quality Improvement and Support Officers are based across Calderdale. To get in touch with an officer in your area, contact:
- Username Quality Improvement and Support Officers
- Email QISO@calderdale.gov.uk
- Ofsted have a common inspection framework for all inspections, including early years settings: Ofsted common inspection framework .
- Information on the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Framework is available from Early Years Foundation Stage framework .
- Our Local Offer for children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities is a practical guide for children and young people parents, carers and professionals, see: Local Offer for children with special needs and disabilities .