A guide to your Council Tax

Here you can find information about your Council Tax and answers to frequently asked questions.

Most changes you need to tell us about, like application forms and requests for amendments can be done online. This is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, without any need to call.

If you cannot find what you are looking for, please use our live chat. Our customer care advisers will be happy to help you:

Valuation bands, parish charges and banding appeals.

Valuation bands

The amount of Council Tax you have to pay depends on the valuation band into which your property has been allocated. Each property in the same valuation band will be charged the same amount of Council Tax. This is except for those areas that have Parish Council precepts (where additional amounts will be charged). The amount payable by individual taxpayers will however differ due to rebates, discounts and other reductions, which might apply.

The various proportions of all the Council Tax Property Valuation Bands are shown in the following Table as is the amount of Council Tax, which will be charged for 2017-2018.

Band Property Value Range Council Tax 2018/19
A Up to and including £40,000 £1,114.27
B £40,001 - £52,000 £1,299.99
C £52,001 - £68,000 £1,485.69
D £68,001 - £88,000 £1,671.41
E £88,001 - £120,000 £2,042.83
F £120,001 - £160,000 £2,414.26
G £160,001 - £320,000 £2,785.68
H Exceeding £320,000 £3,342.82

Parish Charges

The annual budget for 2018-19 is shown in the Table below. If you live in one of the following Parish / Town Council areas you will have to pay extra. The amount of the extra charge applicable to your band will be shown on your bill. These areas are covered by:

Parish-Town Council Budget for 2018/19
Blackshaw Parish Council £6,400
Erringden Parish Council £1,700
Hebden Royd Town Council £262,854
Heptonstall Parish Council £17,200
Ripponden Parish Council £45,114
Stainland & District Town Council £42,550
Todmorden Parish Council £165,905
Wadsworth Parish Council £12,978

Banding Appeals

Any appeal should be made in writing to:

  • Username Valuation Office Agency
  • Email ctnorth@voa.gsi.gov.uk
  • Telephone 03000 501501
  • Address
    Manchester One
    53 Portland Street
    M1 3LD


Who is responsible for payment of Council Tax?

Normally the person living in the property will pay the Council Tax, providing it is their sole or main residence and they are 18 years of age or over.

If more than one person lives in the property, it is the person who comes first on the following list:

  • freehold owner who lives in the property;
  • leaseholder who lives in the property;
  • statutory - secure tenant who lives in the property;
  • licensee;
  • any other person who lives in the property;
  • or the owner, who does not live in the property.


Where the money goes and services covered by your Council Tax

Where the money goes

Service area 2018/19 (£ m)
Chief Executive's Office 20.6
Adults, Health and Social Care 77.3
Children and Young People 149.1
Economy and Environment 42
Communities and Service Support 29.8
Housing Benefits 65.3
Levies and other services 26.1
Total 410.2


Budget 2017/18 (£ m) 2018/19 (£ m) Difference (£ m)
Gross Expenditure 394.2 405.6 11.4
Growth within Adult Social Care Expenditure 4.6 4.6 0.0
Gross Expenditure 398.8 410.2 11.4
Fees and Charges -33.4 -34.3 -0.9
Grants and Contributions -118.6 -128.9 -10.3
Dedicated Schools Grant (DSG) -102.5 -102.5 0.0
RSG/Top Up -30.4 0.0 30.4
Local Retained Rates -25.6 -53.7 -28.1
Contribution from Balances -3.0 -1.1 1.9
Contribution from Earmarked Reserves -3.6 -1.7 1.9
Collection Fund Surplus (-) 0.0 0.0 0.0
Total Gross Income -317.1 -322.2 -5.1
Adult Social Care Precept 3.8 6.3 2.5
Basic Council Tax Requirement 77.9 81.7 3.8
Council Tax Requirement 81.7 88.0 6.3


Services covered by your Council Tax

Council Tax money also covers services not supplied by the council. These include the West Yorkshire Transport Services, Fire and Rescue Services and Crime and Police Services:


How the Council Tax requirements are calculated

Requirements 2017/18
Total (£ m)
Total (£ m)
Per Resident (£ p)
Per Resident (£ p)
Calderdale Aggregate Expenditure 399.0 410.2 1,914.57 1955.48
Parish Council Precepts 0.5 0.6 2.40 2.64
Calderdale Aggregate Income -317.3 -322.2 -1,522.54 -1535.97
Total CMBC and Parishes Council Tax Income 82.2 88.6 394.43 422.15
WY Fire and Rescue Authority Precept 3.6 3.8 17.27 18.12
WY Police Authority Precept 9.0 9.9 43.19 47.19
Council Tax (inc. Parish receipts) 94.8 102.3 454.89 487.46
Calderdale Population . . 208,402 209,770


Adult Social Care Precept

An adult social care authority like Calderdale is able to charge a further 'precept' on its Council Tax. This is from the financial year beginning in 2016. It is to assist the authority in meeting expenditure on adult social care.

The increase in the level of this precept is subject to the annual approval of the House of Commons. Currently the Secretary of State is offering the option of adding a 3% increase on to Council Tax bills. This is for 2017/18 and 2018/19. An overall rise no more than 6% (total), is allowed over the 3 year period from 2017/18 to 2019/20. The money raised will only be used for adult social care (looking after elderly residents and other vulnerable adults).

For more information, read: PDFYour Council Tax Bill 2018-19: explanatory notes [PDF 152KB] .

Can I choose not to pay the Social Care Precept of Council Tax, it does not relate to me?

No. You have to pay the total amount. The Adult Social Care Precept is just one part of Council Tax that makes up your final bill. Council Tax is similar to Income Tax, in that it is not a direct payment for services received. Each householder contributes towards the overall cost of services provided in their locality.

Will I have to pay the Social Care precept every year?

Yes. As Calderdale and the wider country’s population ages, there is an on-going and increasing demand on social care services. People become frail and vulnerable and depend on social care to help them to live fulfilling and independent lives. The Social Care Precept is used to cover some, but not all, of the extra costs associated with this.


Discount and exemptions

Reduced or exempt Council Tax bills are available for:

  • carers;
  • single occupiers;
  • students;
  • individuals with disabilities or severe mental health issues.

This is not an full list of those that may be able to get help. For more on this, please see: Council Tax discounts and exemptions .

Discounts and exemptions are granted based on existing Council Tax records. They will be shown of the front of your bill. If your property has not been treated as exempt, but you think it should be, let us know. For more, please see: Contact Council Tax Section .

Note: If a discount or exemption is in place, but should not be, you must tell us as soon as possible. If you do not tell us, a penalty of at least £70 may be charged.


Empty Homes Premium

Councillors used powers in the 2012 Local Government Finance Act to introduce an Empty Homes Premium of 50% (April 2014).

This is for properties that have been empty for two years or more. Unless a discount or exemption applies, there will be a 150% Council Tax charge for such properties.

We are committed to enabling the provision of housing. We encourage owners to bring empty properties back into use, offering an incentive for new owners to do this. A new owner can qualify for a refund of all Empty Homes Premium. This is if, within 1 year of buying a property, it became subject to Empty Homes Premium.

For more information, or to make a claim for this incentive, contact the Empty Property team by email: under1roof@calderdale.gov.uk .

For more details, see: Empty homes and area improvements .


Changes to Council Tax Discounts

On 1st April 2014, the following changes to Council Tax Discounts and Empty Property Premium came in:

  • A temporary 30 day exemption from Council Tax, if a property becomes empty and is unfurnished. There may be none or a partial entitlement to any remaining balance of the 30 day period. If, a person (previously liable for the Council Tax), has already claimed all or part of the exemption.
  • Empty Homes Premium: Calderdale Council is committed to enabling the provision of housing by encouraging owners to bring empty properties back into use. Councillors decided to use the powers in the 2012 Local Government Finance Act to introduce an Empty Homes Premium of 50%. Properties empty more than 2 years will have a Council Tax charge of 100%, plus an additional premium of 50%. For more details, please see: Empty homes ;
  • Buyers of long-term empty homes can apply for a repayment of the empty homes premium. This is for what they have paid between the purchase date and the date it becomes occupied, if this happens within a year. If you own a property which has been empty more than 2 years and want help to bring it back into use, contact the Empty Property team by email: under1roof@calderdale.gov.uk .
  • A temporary exemption for 6 months from Council tax for victims of flood and fire. This will apply if the property is classed as being uninhabitable and reasonable efforts are made to promptly bring it back into use.



If you think you are not liable for Council Tax, you should let us know as soon as possible. For example, this might be because:

  • you are not the resident or owner;
  • your property qualifies for exemption;
  • a mistake appears to have been made in calculating your bill.

To tell us about a change of ownership, or to give us other information, see: Council Tax Section .

Note: You do not need to formally appeal if you feel you are entitled to a discount, or other reduction.

For more information, see: Discounts and exemptions . If you wish to claim a Council Tax reduction, see: Benefits .

If you wish to appeal a Council Tax liability you should contact us in writing confirming your reason(s) why you dispute the charge and provide any evidence you have in support of your appeal. We will review your case, respond with our decision or, if necessary, ask you for more information or evidence to review your appeal further. Most appeals can be resolved direct with the Council and we would recommend you contact us first as we may be able to resolve this matter quickly for you however; you have the right to appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service and their contact details are shown below. If you wish to submit an appeal to us you may do so by email at central.services@calderdale.gov.uk.

Important note: Making (or awaiting the outcome of) an appeal does not allow you to withhold Council Tax payment. If your appeal is successful, you will be credited with the amount of any overpaid Council Tax.

Council Tax Reduction

Information is available about the Local welfare assistance scheme, which is designed to help households on a low incomes.

Also, check Council Tax discounts and exemptions to see if you qualify for a reduction on your Council Tax.


What happens if I don’t pay?

Help and support is available ... you just need to take the step in asking for it.

What happens if I don't pay? If you are struggling to pay your bill, please get in touch with us. Do not wait for a reminder.


Always open first panel: 


See also