Debt advice

If you have Council Tax arrears and are having problems paying it back, you can contact the Council who can provide advice to Calderdale residents about their debts.

We can help in a number of ways:

  • we can help you sort out your debt problem in the best way for you, and with your agreement
  • we can check your benefits to make sure you are getting all the money that you should
  • we can advise on solutions which cover all of your debts, such as debt management plans
  • we can help arrange for the payments on what you owe to be reduced
  • we can help you to regain control of your finances.

We won't make any judgment about why you are in debt. Our job is to help sort out the problem, however the debts arose.


Other sources of advice

The following organisations can advise on different types of debt such as rent and mortgage arrears, credit card debts and bank loans, the payment of council tax or miscellaneous invoices.

They can help:

  • check you are getting all the benefits you may be entitled to
  • help you to identify the most important debts and take action accordingly. The law gives different creditors different ways of getting their money back.
  • help plan your weekly and monthly budget
  • draw up a financial statement by looking at your income and outgoings
  • help you to decide on a plan to deal with your debts
  • negotiate with the people you owe money to
  • advise you on court procedures, help reply to court documents and represent at court appearances where appropriate.


See also