Universal Credit support

We can offer support to help you with your Universal Credit (UC) claim. You can go to a Customer First office and get help to claim Universal Credit.

Important note: Complete our online self-referral form, if:
  • you have already claimed Universal Credit;
  • and you need help using the account or with budgeting.

One of our advisors will contact you to arrange an appointment.

For more on UC and what information you need before you start your online claim, please visit: Universal Credit .

What help and support can I get?

Digital Skills

We can help you:

  • with how to use your Universal Credit account, which will help your claim to run successfully;
  • to set up an email address;
  • by showing you the council’s website and other helpful sites;
  • by refer you for further help through organised IT courses.

Budgeting Skills

We can help you with:

  • how to open a bank account;
  • how to reduce your energy costs;
  • advice on Council Tax, Council Tax Reduction, Housing and any rent arrears that you may have.

You can get free Internet and PC access at:


If your UC housing element does not cover your rent, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).

Council Tax Reduction is still claimed by applying to us directly. We can also help you claim this at one of our Customer First offices.


See also