Universal Credit

About Universal Credit

Universal Credit is part of the government’s Welfare Reform and will be dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions. For more details and to apply online, visit: Universal Credit (Gov.uk).

Universal Credit will replace six existing benefits with a single monthly payment if you are out of work or on a low income.

These are:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance;
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
  • Income Support;
  • Working Tax Credit;
  • Child Tax Credit;
  • and Housing Benefit.

In Calderdale, from 14th June 2017, claims for Universal Credit can be made. This applies to everyone who would have previously made a claim for any of the benefits listed above, unless:

  • they have more than 2 children;
  • they live in supported accommodation;
  • or persons over State Pension Age.

These people will still claim Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Reduction and all claims for this should be submitted on our Benefits Application Form .

What do you need to do?

If you already claim a benefit

If you already claim one of the six benefits that will be be replaced by Universal Credit, this will continue, for now.

If your current circumstances stay the same you will be invited to apply for Universal Credit. This will happen at some point in the future, as it is extended to more groups.

However, if your current circumstances change you may be invited to apply for Universal Credit sooner.

If you are making a new benefit claim

If you are newly unemployed and single you may be eligible to make a claim for Universal Credit.

If you are not eligible to claim Universal Credit you will be advised to claim the other benefits as normal.

Use the Universal Credit personal planner to see how you will be affected, visit: Universal Credit guides (Gov.uk). This takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete.

Making a claim

You will need to make a claim for Universal Credit online.

If you do not have online facilities, you can access this at any Calderdale Library .

If you need support in making a claim, you can get help if you go to: Halifax Customer First .

Before you start your online claim for Universal Credit

Make sure you have the following information before you start as you cannot save your application and return to it later:

  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • Your rent agreement (if you have one)
  • Details of your savings or other capital
  • Details of any non earned income eg. Income from an insurance plan
  • Details of any other benefits you are getting

Apply for Universal Credit

You will find more detailed information and the online application form at Universal Credit (Gov.uk).


See also