Home Review Service

We may come to your home if you live in Calderdale and receive Housing Benefit or a discount under the Council Tax Reduction Scheme. The majority of our appointments to your home are a simple check to review your claim and confirm that you are entitled to the benefit that you are getting. We may also go out to see people who are unable to come into our offices or for those who have difficulties with our forms.


If you have a review an officer will call at your house, talk to you over the telephone, see you in one of our Customer First offices or contact you by e-mail or post. They will need to check with you all of the current information used to assess your benefit. These reviews can occur at anytime during your claim. If you are to be seen at home you may receive a letter stating the date of your review. It is important that you let us know if you will not be available. On occasions we may call without notifying you by letter, if we do call round un-notified and you are not in we will leave a letter for you to contact us to arrange a convenient appointment. Appointments over the phone or in our offices will be made at a mutually convenient time.

Requesting an officer to come to your home visit to help you with your claim

The team also provides a service to help you in your home. An officer can call at your home if you have difficulty attending the local office due to health problems, work commitments or if you have difficulty in completing the forms and you have no-one else who can help. At your home we can provide information about other benefits and schemes available to help you.

Please telephone us on 01422 393514 to ask for an officer to see you or e-mail at benefits.unit@calderdale.gov.uk.

To help us help you please make sure you have the following up to date documents for you and your partner available for your appointment with our officer:

  • Identification and National Insurance Number.
  • All earned income / all benefit income.
  • Last two months statements for all bank, building society and post office accounts.
  • Savings / Shares / ISA / PEP / National Savings Certificates / Bonds.
  • Tenancy agreement or letter from your landlord confirming tenancy details.
  • Proof of income for any other adults in the household.

Please note: all our Visiting Officers carry an official identification badge with a photograph on and a contact number for you to ring to check the officer is a genuine caller to your house.

See also