The historic Halifax Borough Market building is the heart of Halifax town centre and in many ways one of its most important assets. Following on from the successful work in the Piece Hall, Calderdale Council is now looking to the future of this important building as part of the ongoing town centre improvements and implementation of the Halifax Town Centre Masterplan.
Members of the consultancy team will be available to discuss opportunities, objectives and constraints at the Borough Market on:
- Thursday 14th December 10am to 1pm
- Friday 12th January 10am to 1pm
- Friday 9th February 10am to 1pm
If you are unable to make one of these sessions please complete the Halifax Market comments form [PDF 1095KB] and email it to Uk_halifax.firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the pop up stall in the market and fill in the comments form.
About the consultation
Calderdale Council has recently appointed IBI Group as lead consultant to produce a detailed feasibility study to look at:
- The most effective ways to preserve and enhance this historic building for future generations to continue to enjoy.
- Options for bringing the residential properties(‘Streets in the Sky’) within the building back into use.
- Options for enhancing the retail offer and facilities available within and around the building.
- Solutions to ensure this important facility gains maximum benefit from proposed transport infrastructure investment delivered as part of the West Yorkshire Plus Transport Fund.
A 'POP-UP' stall will be set up within the market, displaying photographs, coloured plans and diagrams to encourage thoughts on the bigger questions for the role of the Borough Market in:
- Improving/diversifying the town’s shopping offer.
- Enhancing connections/links through the market and wider town centre.
- Putting a focus on a part of the town that will benefit from investment.
- Diversifying what the Market has to offer.
- Increase appeal of the market.
- The potential of the ‘streets in the sky’.