Nationality Checking Service

The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) is provided in partnership with UK Visas and Immigration.

If you are applying for British citizenship we will:

  • check that your application has been completed correctly
  • ensure that you submit all the required documents such as passports, certificates and proof of English proficiency
  • certify your supporting documents
  • send your application(s) to the Home Office by special delivery post.

The NCS is not a fast-track application service, but applications which have been completed properly do tend to be dealt with more quickly.

We will photocopy your documents so you can keep your original documents such as your passport. However you must provide us with original documents. If you do not have a passport or travel document you may be able to supply other original documents. Our Nationality Checking Team will be able to advise you.

Recent information from the UK Visas and Immigration suggests that citizenship applications submitted via NCS are less likely to be refused due to submission of incorrect documentation being provided. Currently around 11% of all nationality applications are refused, but only 2% are refused when submitted through NCS.

Calderdale Council will usually be able to offer you an appointment within 7days.

Apply for British Citizenship

You will need to satisfy the following criteria:

  • Residential qualification. You will need to have resided in this country for 5 years (as a single applicant). Alternatively, for 3 years if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen. In this case you must have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain or Enter by the time that you make your application.
  • If you are applying under the 5 year rule you must have held Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Enter for at least 12 months. The ILR stamp should be in your passport, travel document, or on a letter from the Home Office.
  • Knowledge of Life in the UK. You must have passed the Life in the UK test or hold an ESOL qualification with a Citizenship element.

If you are a Calderdale library member, you can now prepare for the Life in the UK test online. For further information, see Life in the UK .

A citizenship application form is available from:

Website: GOV.UK
  • Username The Home Office IND
  • Telephone 0845 010 5200
  • Address
    Managed Migration
    UK Visas and Immigration
    PO Box 306
    L2 0QN
The Calderdale Register Office hosts Citizenship ceremonies

Using the Nationality Checking Service

The checking service is strictly on an appointment basis. Please telephone 01422 288004.

Applicants over 18 must attend in person. When booking your appointment we will ask you for your Life in the UK test certificate.

Knowledge of language and life requirement for settlement (Indefinite leave to remain)

There are two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants for settlement unless a person is exempt. Applicants are required to:

  1. Pass the Life in the UK test and
  2. have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent. For further information see New Language Requirement .

Cost of the National Checking Service

We will charge you a fee of

  • £75 per adult application
  • £35 per child application.

All fees include VAT.

Please note that these fees are in addition to the normal fee you must pay to the Home Office for processing your application for nationality.

You will need to pay the full amount, in advance, when making your appointment.

Appointments can only be changed once and only up to 48 hours before the appointment date. We regret that we cannot make appointments if the fee is not paid in advance and we cannot refund the fee if you do not attend your appointment.

Home Office fees may be paid by card, transcash or cheque (made payable to The Accounting Officer, Home Office). We cannot send cash to the Home Office.

Applying for a British passport

You can submit a passport application at the same time that you apply to be a British Citizen.

We will forward your passport application form and payment details to the Home Office, with your NCS application.

If you wish to use this service, there is a fee of £15, per application, in addition to the standard NCS fees.

Please note: We offer this service in conjunction with a NCS application; if your NCS application is rejected, your passport application will be rejected too.

  • This service is chargeable in addition to the NCS fee payable to the Home Office.
  • Applicants over the age of 15 years and 6 months, must attend the appointment.

What do I do if I want to complain about the service I receive?

If you have a compliment, comment or complaint about the service, please let us know. We will give you a customer satisfaction form to complete when you arrive for your appointment or if we are unable to send your application for process by the Home Office.

If you wish to take the matter further there are a number of ways you can do this.

  1. Tell a member of staff immediately. It is always nice to know we are doing well and, if we are not, simple mistakes or misunderstandings can often be sorted out straightaway.
  2. Tell the Service Manager, Sarah Richardson. You can do this by completing a feedback form, which you can pick up from our reception.
  3. If you are still not happy with our response you can complain directly to the Office of the Immigration;
  • Username Services Commissioner (OISC)
  • Email
  • Telephone 020 7211 1500
  • Address
    Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
    5th Floor
    21 Bloomsbury Street
    WC1B 3HF
Website: OISC

Other information and Home Office contacts

Please note that Calderdale Council is not able to give you advice about nationality.

We can only check that you have the correct paperwork and that your application has been completed properly. We cannot give immigration advice or act for you after you have made your application. For this kind of information or if you have any queries regarding your eligibility to apply for British Citizenship, you should consult your legal advisors or contact the Home Office directly on 0845 010 5200 or visit the OISC website: Adviser Finder

The Nationality Checking Service at Calderdale Council is registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner to provide this service.

Can we apply for Indefinite Leave to remain via this service?

No, you can find out how to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain here:


Can you assist me in completing the Naturalisation form?

You need to complete the form prior to your appointment; there is a guide available to help you complete this. Please ensure you have the most up to date version of the form before attending your appointment.

The form and guide can be found here:


Can you give me advice about nationality?

The Nationality Checking Service team are not able to provide any advice regarding nationality.

For further guidance please visit:


What do I need to bring to my Naturalisation appointment?

You need to bring:

  • Your completed application form
  • Your supporting documentation
  • Method of payment; completed payment slip, debit/ credit card or cheque.

The documents required to support your application vary depending on your individual circumstances; you must check the application form and guides before attending your appointment.


Can I apply for a British Passport at the same time?

Yes, we now offer Joint Citizenship and Passport application service (JCAP) If successful with your Naturalisation application you would receive a British passport automatically 20 days after the Ceremony.

This service allows you to receive a passport quicker and without providing additional countersignatures.

The checking fee for this service is £15, this is in addition to the current application fee payable to the Passport Office.

I have recently got married, can I apply for a British passport in my new name?

We can only accept passport applications via this service if the name you wish it to be in is identical to your current passport/ travel document and your naturalisation application form.

What do I need to bring to my appointment for Passport Checking (JCAP)?

You need to bring:

  • A completed passport application form
  • Two Photographs the same as the photograph included in your Naturalisation application form.
  • Method of Payment; completed payment slip, debit/ credit card or cheque
Do Children need to attend the appointment?

For Naturalisation appointments children under 18 do not need to attend.

For Naturalisation and Passport checking appointments a child aged 15 years and 6 months will need to attend the appointment as a 16 year old would be classed as an adult applicant for passport purposes.