The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) is provided in partnership with UK Visas and Immigration.
If you are applying for British citizenship we will:
- check that your application has been completed correctly;
- ensure that you submit all the required documents, such as passports, certificates and proof of English proficiency;
- certify your supporting documents;
- send your application(s) to the Home Office by special delivery post.
Note: The NCS is not a fast-track application service. Properly completed applications tend to be dealt with quicker.
We photocopy documents, like passports, so you can keep the originals, but you must provide us with the original. If you do not have a passport, or travel document, you may be able to supply other original documents. Ask our Nationality Checking team for advise.
The UK's Visas and Immigration suggest that Citizenship applications submitted via the NCS are less likely to be refused. This is because it is much less likely that incorrect documents will be submitted. At the moment, around 11% of Nationality applications are refused. Only 2% are refused when submitted using the NCS.
Note: Calderdale Council will usually offer you an appointment within 7days.
Apply for British Citizenship
You will need to satisfy the following criteria:
- Residential qualification. You will need to have resided in this country for:
- 5 years (as a single applicant);
- or 3 years, if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen. In this case you must have:
- been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain;
- or Enter by the time you make your application.
- If you are applying under the 5 year rule you must have:
- held Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR);
- or Enter for at least 12 months.
(Note: The ILR stamp should be in your passport, travel document, or on a letter from the Home Office.)
- Knowledge of Life in the UK. You must have passed the Life in the UK test or hold an ESOL qualification with a Citizenship element.
If you are a Calderdale library member, you can prepare for the Life in the UK test online.
For further information, visit: Life in the UK .
To download a Citizenship application form, visit:
- Username The Home Office IND
- Telephone 0845 010 5200
UK Visas and Immigration
PO Box 306
- Website Becoming a British citizen - How to apply (Gov.uk)
The Calderdale Register Office hosts Citizenship ceremonies.
Using the Nationality Checking Service
Note: The checking service is strictly appointments ONLY. Please phone: 01422 288004 to book.
Applicants over 18 must attend in person.
When you make your booking, we will ask you for your Life in the UK test certificate.
Knowledge of language and life requirement for settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain)
There are two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement. Both MUST be met by all applicants for settlement, unless a person is exempt.
Applicants are required to:
- Pass the Life in the UK test;
- and have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, or its equivalent. For further information, visit: Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests (Gov.uk).
Cost of the National Checking Service
We will charge you a fee of:
- £75 per adult application;
- £35 per child application.
All fees include VAT.
Note: These fees are on top of the fee you pay the Home Office to process your application for Nationality.
You must pay the full amount, in advance, when you book your appointment.
Please note: Appointments can only be changed once. This must be at least 48 hours before the appointment date. We regret we cannot make appointments if the fee is not paid, in advance. If you do not attend your appointment, your fee will not be refunded.
Home Office fees may be paid by card, transcash or cheque. Please make cheques payable to 'The Accounting Officer, Home Office'. We cannot send cash to the Home Office.
Applying for a British passport
You can submit a passport application at the same time that you apply to be a British Citizen.
We will forward your passport application and payment to the Home Office, with your NCS application.
If you wish to use this service, there is a fee of £15, per application. This is in addition to the standard NCS fees.
Note: Applicants over the age of 15 years and 6 months, must attend the appointment.
Important Note: We offer this service in conjunction with a NCS application. If your NCS application is rejected, your passport application will be rejected too.
What do I do if I want to complain about the service I receive?
If you have a compliment, comment or complaint about the service, please let us know.
We will give you a customer satisfaction form to complete:
- when you arrive for your appointment;
- if we are unable to send your application for process by the Home Office.
There are a number of ways to take the matter further, if you want to:
- Tell a member of staff immediately. It is nice to know we are doing well, or if we are not. Simple problems can often be sorted out quickly, there and then.
- Tell the Service Manager. Do this by completing a feedback form. Pick one up from our reception.
- If you are still not happy with our reply, you can complain to the Office of the Immigration:
Other information and Home Office contacts
Please note: Calderdale Council is not able to give you advice about nationality.
We can only check that you have the correct paperwork and that your application has been completed properly. We cannot give immigration advice or act for you after you have made your application. For this information or any queries regarding your eligibility to apply for British Citizenship, consult your legal advisors. You can contact the Home Office directly, by phone: 0845 010 5200 or to find an Advisor, visit: OISC .
Calderdale Council's Nationality Checking Service is registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner to provide this service.
To find out how to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain, visit: GOV.UK: Settle in the UK .
You must complete the form before your appointment. There is a guide to help you do this.
For the form and guide, visit: GOV.UK: Application to naturalise as a British citizen .
Note: Please ensure you have the most up-to-date version of the form, before attending your appointment.
The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) team cannot give advice on nationality.
For more help, visit: GOV.UK .
You need to bring:
- your completed application form;
- your supporting documentation;
- a way to pay:
- completed payment slip;
- debit / credit card;
- or cheque.
The documents you need for your application vary and depend on your circumstances.
Note: You must check the application form and guides before attending your appointment.
For more help, visit: GOV.UK: Application to naturalise as a British citizen .
We do a Joint Citizenship and Passport Application service (JCAP).
If successful with your Naturalisation application, you receive a British passport 20 days after the ceremony.
This service allows you to receive a passport quicker, without providing additional countersignatures.
Note: The checking fee for this service is £15. This is on top of the application fee payable to the Passport Office.
We can only accept passport applications via this service, if:
- the name you wish it to be in is identical to your current passport/ travel document;
- and your naturalisation application form.
You need to bring:
- a completed passport application form;
- two photographs that are the same as the photograph included in your Naturalisation application;
- and a way to pay:
- completed payment slip;
- debit/ credit card;
- or cheque.
For Naturalisation appointments, children under 18 do not need to attend.
For Naturalisation and passport checking, children aged 15 years and 6 months need to attend the appointment. This is because a 16-year-old would be classed as an adult applicant for passport purposes.