The Nationality Checking Service (NCS) is provided in partnership with UK Visas and Immigration.
If you are applying for British citizenship we will:
- check that your application has been completed correctly
- ensure that you submit all the required documents such as passports, certificates and proof of English proficiency
- certify your supporting documents
- send your application(s) to the Home Office by special delivery post.
The NCS is not a fast-track application service, but applications which have been completed properly do tend to be dealt with more quickly.
We will photocopy your documents so you can keep your original documents such as your passport. However you must provide us with original documents. If you do not have a passport or travel document you may be able to supply other original documents. Our Nationality Checking Team will be able to advise you.
Recent information from the UK Visas and Immigration suggests that citizenship applications submitted via NCS are less likely to be refused due to submission of incorrect documentation being provided. Currently around 11% of all nationality applications are refused, but only 2% are refused when submitted through NCS.
Calderdale Council will usually be able to offer you an appointment within 7days.
Apply for British Citizenship
You will need to satisfy the following criteria:
- Residential qualification. You will need to have resided in this country for 5 years (as a single applicant). Alternatively, for 3 years if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen. In this case you must have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain or Enter by the time that you make your application.
- If you are applying under the 5 year rule you must have held Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Enter for at least 12 months. The ILR stamp should be in your passport, travel document, or on a letter from the Home Office.
- Knowledge of Life in the UK. You must have passed the Life in the UK test or hold an ESOL qualification with a Citizenship element.
If you are a Calderdale library member, you can now prepare for the Life in the UK test online. For further information, see Life in the UK .
A citizenship application form is available from: