Asylum seekers and refugees

Support and advice

If you are an asylum seeker in Calderdale, you should seek help and advice from the person providing your accommodation.

If you cannot resolve the issue, then you should contact Group 4 Securicor (G4S). They are responsible for providing housing for asylum seekers in Yorkshire and Humberside. You can contact them at:

Other organisations that can help are:

  • The Refugee council can help with some problems and can be contacted at:

    • Username Refugee Council
    • Telephone 0113 2449404
    • Address
      Hurley House
      1 Dewsbury Road
      LS11 5DQ
    • Website Refugee council
  • You may get support to access housing, money, schools, health etc.

    • Username UK Visas and Immigration - Asylum Support
    • Telephone 0845 602 1739
    • Address
      Waterside Court
      Kirkstall Road
  • The St Augustine's Centre also offers support to asylum seekers and refugees at:

You may find more about this at: International Organisation for Migration .

Syrian refugees

Do you want to know what the Council is doing and how you can help? If you do, please read: PDFSyrian refugee crisis: FAQs [PDF 50KB] .

If you have not yet registered your claim for asylum

Do you need somewhere to stay and support while your asylum claim is processed?

You MUST contact UK Visas and Immigration at Liverpool or Leeds, within a few days of arriving in the UK. If you do not, you may not be able to make a claim for asylum.

Leave to remain

If you have received leave to remain in the UK, you have the same entitlements as other UK residents.

If you plan to live in Calderdale, you can get advice about housing, benefits, education, training, employment and health at:

  • Username Housing Options Service
  • Email
  • Telephone 01422 392460
  • Address
    Customer First
    19 Horton Street
    HX1 1QE

Drop-in times: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10am to 12.30pm.

  • Username Jobcentre Plus
  • Telephone 0800 055 6688 Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm

  • Username Calderdale Council Children and Young People's Services
  • Telephone 01422 288001
  • Address
    Northgate House
    HX1 1UN


All children aged between 5 and 16 years must attend school, by law. Nursery Education is voluntary but will help your child learn English quickly:

  • Nursery School is for 3-4 year olds
  • Primary School is for 4-11 year olds
  • Secondary School is for 11-19 year olds.

To find a school place for your child.


Asylum seekers are entitled to the same health services as other residents. To find services in your area, visit: NHS Choices or phone: 01422 281300.

Doctors or General Practitioners (GP)

In the UK, you get most health services from your GP. There should be a GP surgery near where you are living.

To register with a doctor (GP), take proof of your identity to the GP surgery near you, such as:

  • your Application Registration Card (ARC);
  • or Home Office papers;
  • and, if possible, proof of address.

After you register, you can see a doctor when you are ill.

You must make an appointment to see a doctor and they will only see emergency patients on the same day.

They offer:

  • a health check when you register;
  • diagnosis and treatment when you are ill;
  • referrals to a specialist at a hospital;
  • family planning and advice on contraception;
  • maternity care and baby clinics;
  • child health screening;
  • cervical cytology tests (usually referred to as 'Smear Tests'), which test for cervical cancer in women;
  • minor surgery access to other health services in the community.

Yorkshire Migration Partnership

The Yorkshire Migration Partnership works with national / local government and others. This is to make sure that Yorkshire and Humber can deal with and gain from migration. Their website has an A to Z of organisations working with migrants in Yorkshire and Humber.

See also