Worried about a friend or family member?
Here are some of the warning signs of someone being abused:
- Apologises and makes excuses for their partner’s behaviour;
- Gets nervous about talking when their partner is around;
- Is often ill and misses school or work;
- Hide bruises by wearing long sleeves and high necks, even in summer;
- Makes last minute excuses about why they can’t meet you;
- They appear to be sad, lonely, withdrawn or fearful;
- They use drugs or alcohol (to help them cope).
How to help a friend
- Listen without judging;
- Help the person work out what they want to do;
- Encourage them to seek help or call the Police;
- Call the Police if you witness or hear assaults;
- Support children with practical help;
- Provide help with safety planning.