Navigate to this section:
- If you are living in an abusive environment
- Where you can get help
- Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence
- Sexual assault
- More information
Being in an abusive environment can be very difficult to cope with. There are steps you can take to increase your personal safety (and that of your children), see: Safety planning .
- National Domestic Violence Helpline phone: 0808 2000247 (Free 24 hour).
- Childline: Childline.org .
- Calderdale's First Response Team for Child Protection .
- Gateway to Care for Safeguarding adults .
- West Yorkshire Police, phone: 101.
- West Yorkshire Police Safeguarding Unit, phone: 01422 337041.
- Polish helpline poster in English .
- Polski telefon zaufania dla ofiar przemocy w rodzinie .
Calderdale Staying Safe Free confidential advice for women and men.
Address: 23 Silver Street, Halifax. HX1 1JN.
Phone: 01422 323339 / Out of hours Thurs to Sun: 07590 884206.
Staying Safe - Polish, Urdu: Staying Safe (Polish, Urdu) [PDF 658KB]
Victim support Free confidential support for women and men.
Address: 19 - 25, Wood Street, Wakefield,WF1 2EL.
Phone: 0300 3031971 or 0808 1689111.
Stalking: Network for Surviving Stalking helpline.
Phone: 0808 8020 300.
Website: NSS Advice
Galop Advice for gay, lesbian, bi-sexual or trans people experiencing domestic abuse.
Phone: 0207 7042040.
- ' Three Steps to Escaping Domestic Violence ' .
- Survivors Handbook .
- Urdu - Women’s Aid The Survivor’s Handbook Urdu .
- Arabic - Women’s Aid The Survivor’s Handbook Arabic .
- Somali - Women’s Aid The Survivor’s Handbook Somali .
A forced marriage is where one or both people do not or may not be able to consent or agree to the marriage. Pressure or abuse may be used e.g. threats, physical or sexual violence, they may not be allowed to have any money etc. They are made to feel bad or like they are bringing shame on the family. This behaviour is called ‘Honour Based Abuse’.
Forcing someone to marry when they do not want to (without their full agreement or consent) is a crime. It is a form of abuse! Forced marriage and honour based abuse can affect boys and girls, people of any age, any religion, culture or tradition.
- In an emergency, phone the Police on: 999.
- For non-emergencies, phone the Police on 101.
- For children and young people, phone the Multi-Agency Screening Team (MAST) on: 01422 393336.
- For adults, phone Gateway to Care on: 01422 393000.
- Out of hours, phone the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on: 01422 288000.
- Calderdale Staying Safe (Domestic Abuse Support Service) on: 01422 323339.
- Visit: Karma Nirvana , or phone their helpline: 0800 5999 247 (free and confidential).
- Freedom Charity Helpline: 0845 6070133, or text the words '4freedom': to 88802.
- Visit: The Forced Marriage Unit , or phone them on their confidential helpline: 0207 0080151.
- Forced Marriage poster [PDF 274KB]
- Forced Marriage Survivors Handbook [PDF 229KB]
Women and men, who have been sexually assaulted, can get confidential help, treatment and support at a sexual assault referral centre: Find your nearest sexual assault referral centre .
For debt and money advice and support, visit: Citizens Advice .
For information on Talking Therapies in Calderdale, visit: Insight Healthcare - Talking Therapies .
For drugs and alcohol advice and support, visit: Calderdale Recovery Steps .
For more information on domestic abuse in pregnancy, visit: Domestic abuse in pregnancy .
For more information on domestic abuse against men, visit: Domestic abuse against men .