Are you experiencing domestic abuse and need help?

Always call 999 in an emergency.

Navigate to this section:

If you are living in an abusive environment

Being in an abusive environment can be very difficult to cope with. There are steps you can take to increase your personal safety (and that of your children), see: Safety planning .

Where can you get help?

Further information

Online Safety

For help with staying safe online, from reporting something that is abusive, to stopping a private sexual image being shared , see Empowering women to be safe online.

Forced marriage and honour based violence

A forced marriage is where one or both people do not or may not be able to consent or agree to the marriage. Pressure or abuse may be used e.g. threats, physical or sexual violence, they may not be allowed to have any money etc. They are made to feel bad or like they are bringing shame on the family. This behaviour is called ‘Honour Based Abuse’.

Forcing someone to marry when they do not want to (without their full agreement or consent) is a crime. It is a form of abuse! Forced marriage and honour based abuse can affect boys and girls, people of any age, any religion, culture or tradition.

  • In an emergency, phone the Police on: 999.
  • For non-emergencies, phone the Police on 101.
  • For children and young people, phone the Multi-Agency Screening Team (MAST) on: 01422 393336.
  • For adults, phone Gateway to Care on: 01422 393000.
  • Out of hours, phone the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on: 01422 288000.
  • Calderdale Staying Safe (Domestic Abuse Support Service) on: 01422 323339.
  • Visit: Karma Nirvana  , or phone their helpline: 0800 5999 247 (free and confidential).
  • Freedom Charity Helpline: 0845 6070133, or text the words '4freedom': to 88802.
  • Visit: The Forced Marriage Unit  , or phone them on their confidential helpline: 0207 0080151.
  • PDFForced Marriage poster [PDF 274KB]
  • PDFForced Marriage Survivors Handbook [PDF 229KB]

Sexual assault

Women and men, who have been sexually assaulted, can get confidential help, treatment and support at a sexual assault referral centre: Find your nearest sexual assault referral centre .

More information

For debt and money advice and support, visit: Citizens Advice .

For information on Talking Therapies in Calderdale, visit: Insight Healthcare - Talking Therapies .

For drugs and alcohol advice and support, visit: Calderdale Recovery Steps .

For more information on domestic abuse in pregnancy, visit: Domestic abuse in pregnancy .

For more information on domestic abuse against men, visit: Domestic abuse against men .