Are you a child or young person affected by domestic abuse?

If you are a child or young person reading this and you are living with violence at home, please keep reading - you are not alone.

upset looking teenager

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is a serious problem. It is not just physical (slapping, punching or kicking), it can be someone trying to control what you do. It can include sexual and emotional abuse.

An abuser may threaten you, control your money or use anything else to make you do things they want, including forcing you into marriage.

You might be in an abusive relationship yourself, or worried about this type of abuse between other members of your family.

"I used to feel like it was my fault. They were always fighting about me. I wanted it to stop."

Who can you go to for help?

You can talk to a teacher, doctor, youth worker, family member or anyone else you trust. Or use the following contacts. Any information you give will be kept private and confidential:

  •  or phone Childline on: 0800 1111. Free, 24 hour confidential helpline for children and young people who need to talk.
  • The Hideout is a website created by Women’s Aid to help children and young people to understand domestic violence and abuse, and how to take positive action if it’s happening to you;
  • Disrespect Nobody is a website for young people, where you will find information about abuse in relationships and how to get help and support. There are lists of organisation you can contact confidentially.
  • Calderdale  Staying Safe offers support and advice to all young people, male and female aged between 5 and 18 years.

Write to us at: Calderdale Staying Safe , Womencentre, 23 Silver Street, Halifax. HX1 1JN.

Phone: 01422 323339.

"It helped me to understand that bottling up things wasn’t a good idea."

Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence

For free confidential advice and support if you are worried about Forced Marriage visit Karma Nirvana or phone them on: 0800 5999 247. Information will not be shared with your family or community.

Are you a child or young person worried about being abusive?

concerned teenager

If you’re a young person who is being violent or abusive towards someone, there are people who can help you too. 

  • Calderdale Respect Programme – contact the Calderdale FIT team on 01422 392819

  • Choices  for those aged 16+  Tel. 0113 2192417

  • Branching Out for advice and support with alcohol.

"I started to feel a bit more normal and realised for the first time that I wasn’t alone"

See also