CCTV Code of Practice
The use of Closed Circuit television (CCTV) is a powerful tool in improving community safety, reducing anti-social behaviour and the fear of crime for local people, and increasing resilience to emergency and critical incidents.
The CCTV system installed by Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council is operational 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The CCTV facility monitors a number of public space cameras across the borough using state of the art communications and other cameras which are located in and around council owned buildings. The CCTV facility also monitors some privately owned CCTV schemes.
CCTV signs are located in the areas of coverage. The system is the property of Council. Authorised management is by officers of the Council's Community Safety Department. Calderdale MBC is legally responsible for the system.
Requests for data
All requests for the release of data shall be processed in accordance with Closed Circuit Television Surveillance System Codes of Practice:
- CCTV Code of Practice: public spaces [PDF 224KB]
- CCTV Code of Practice: council buildings [PDF 326KB]
CCTV is used to:
- Assist in the reduction of crime, antisocial behaviour, the fear of crime, and to increase the confidence of the public in the Borough
- Provide a safer environment for those who live, work and trade in the area and those who visit Calderdale
- Facilitate the apprehension and prosecution of offenders.
- Assist in the prevention and detection of crime and disorder committed in public areas.
- Deal with any serious public safety concerns.
- Reduce the theft of and from cars both on-streets where CCTV is located and in car parks, thus encouraging greater use of these facilities.
- Support the effective response to emergency and critical incidents
- Help maintain public order
- Manage significant and high profile events
- Allow positive management of traffic
- Retain Purple Flag status for Halifax Town Centre as a safe and thriving location.
- Username Community Safety and Resilience Team
- Email email@example.com
- Telephone 01422 288001
Spring Hall Mansion