Tell us once

When someone has died, there are lots of things that need to be done, at a time when you probably least feel like doing them. One of these is contacting government departments and local council services that need to be told.

The Department for Work and Pensions provides a service which we hope will make things easier - you can just tell them and these organisations will be contacted.

Depending on your circumstances the following organisations can be notified:

  • Adult services;
  • Attendance Allowance;
  • Blue Badge Parking Permit;
  • Carer’s Allowance;
  • Child Benefit;
  • Children’s Services;
  • Council Tax;
  • Council Tax Benefit;
  • Disability Living Allowance;
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency;
  • Electoral Services;
  • Employment and Support Allowance;
  • Housing Benefit;
  • Identity and Passport Service;
  • Incapacity Benefit;
  • Income Support;
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance;
  • Library Services;
  • Pension Credit;
  • Personal Taxation;
  • State Pension.

Information you will need to use the service

To make sure the right information is given to any organisations they contact for you, and so that you get the most out of the service, you will need to have the following information about the person who has died:

  • their National Insurance number and date of birth;
  • details of any benefits or services they were receiving;
  • their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number;
  • their Passport or Passport number.

They may also ask you for information about:

  • their next of kin;
  • any surviving husband, wife or civil partner;
  • the person dealing with their estate.

You must obtain the agreement of the persons listed above if you are going to provide information about them.

Further more information on the Tell Us Once service, visit: GOV.UK: What to do after someone dies .


Births, marriages and deaths

See also