Animal diseases

Some animal diseases, like foot and mouth and anthrax, are 'notifiable' and have to be reported to the Council, the Police and the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). If you suspect any animals are suffering from a notifiable disease, or would like a list of notifiable diseases, contact Environmental Health.

Avian Influenza

You can find out the latest information about avian influenza in the UK at Animal Diseases

It is vital that all bird keepers in the United Kingdom (UK) continue to practice the highest levels of biosecurity and remain vigilant for any signs of disease. If you are concerned about the health of your birds you should seek advice from your veterinary surgeon. If you suspect that your birds have avian influenza, you should report it to your local Animal Health Office immediately. In Calderdale you should contact Environmental Health.

Wild birds and kept birds

This advice, provided by Defra, applies in all circumstances where members of the public may come across dead birds.

Members of the public are asked to report incidents where they find five or more dead birds in the same place and at the same time, by contacting the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) Helpline (03459 33 55 77). This is because of the UK’s programme for surveillance for avian influenza in wild birds.

If you find any single dead birds (or less than five), including garden birds, then you do not need to call the Defra helpline. You should leave the bodies alone, or follow the guidelines for disposal given by Defra.

For advice for keepers of birds and animals, and for members of the public, visit the web page: Biosecurity .

Bovine TB

Tuberculosis (TB) is a serious disease of warm-blooded mammals arising from infection by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) complex. This is part of a group of closely related bacteria that includes those responsible for tuberculosis in animals and in humans.

Bovine tuberculosis (bTB) is one of the most complex animal health problems currently facing the farming industry in Great Britain. It is a notifiable disease and suspicion of the disease must be reported to your local Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) office.

  • For information on Bovine TB including Parish testing: Bovine TB ;
  • For answers about routine TB Testing intervals: Animal Health .

Foot and Mouth Disease

Foot and Mouth Disease is an infectious disease affecting cloven-hoofed animals, in particular cattle, sheep, pigs, goats and deer.

If you keep animals and you suspect signs of any notifiable disease, you must immediately notify your local APHA Office.

Further information

Defra operates a helpline the helpline is available for telephone and email enquiries between 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, please do not hesitate to contact Environmental Health.


See also