The Publication Scheme

The Freedom of Information Act requires all public authorities, including Calderdale Council, to adopt and maintain a Publication Scheme. The Scheme aims to let everyone know what information is automatically, or routinely, published by the Council. It also lets you know where you can get it from.

There are 7 categories of information, which are:

Who we are and what we do

Contacting the Council

You may contact the Council via the Customer First telephone number or by email. The Customer First Contact Centre gives you access to a dedicated team of Customer Care Advisers, based in our offices in Halifax.

  • Username Customer First Contact Centre
  • Telephone 01422 288002


Alternatively you may reach services directly via the relevant Directorates and service areas , or via our local offices .


You can also Do it online

Calderdale Council's priorities

Calderdale Council has ambition and priorities for delivering services to local people. Calderdale will be a place where we value everyone being different and through our actions we demonstrate that everyone matters.

priorities and performance

Democracy and elections

You can learn about how Local democracy works, view The constitution and find out all about your local councillors.

For information about the election process, how to vote and election results, see: Elections and Voting

What we spend and how we spend it

What are our priorities and how are we doing

How we make decisions

The Constitution

Calderdale Council operates an executive decision making structure. The operation of the structure is controlled by the Constitution. Meetings are generally open to the public to attend except where personal or confidential matters are being discussed.

Council Meetings

Council meetings are held in the Town Hall in Halifax and are often open to the public. Committee timetables showing dates and times of meetings can be seen at most Council offices, on the website or you call 01422 393011.

Community consultations

Details of all consultations that the Council and partner organisations are planning, consultations taking place now and the outcomes of consultations that we have completed, are published via Calderdale Engage .

Our policies and procedures

Lists and registers

Public registers and registers held as public records: Available online

Register of ancient monuments

To protect archaeological sites for future generations, the most valuable of them may be scheduled.

Register of definitive map modification order applications

Register required to be kept under section 53B(1) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act of applications, made under section 53(5) of the 1981 Act, for orders to modify the Definitive Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way.

Register of Highways Statement and Declarations and Register of Landowner Statements

Register required to be kept under section 31A of the Highways Act 1980, of declarations lodged and maps and statements deposited under section 31 (6) of 1980 Act. A number of entries that expired a while ago are also available - see Register of Highways Statements and Declarations.

Register of Landowner Statements

Register required to be kept under section 15B of the Commons Act 2006, of statements deposited under section 15A of the 2006 Act.

Hackney carriage/ private hire licence register

All current licenses and applications in relation to the Licensing Act 2003 and Private Hire and Hackney Carriages are available. Further information in relation to any particular licence, certificate or application is available by contacting the Licensing Unit .

Public registers and registers held as public records: Available by application or in person

Commons and towns or village greens register

Common land is land usually privately owned, that now or in the past had common rights over it. Common land is generally open, unenforced and remote, particularly in the upland areas of England and Wales. Within England and Wales there is around 572,000 hectares of common land, of which 550,000 hectares are registered under the Commons Registration Act 1965.

Electoral register

Lists the name and address of everyone who has registered to vote. By law the Electoral Registration Officer has to make the register available for anyone to look at, in person, under supervision. Copies may not be taken of the electoral register other than by hand written notes.

Members' interests

The Head of Democratic and Partnership Services, as the Monitoring Officer, is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of the register of interests of Councillors and co-opted members (with voting rights) as required under Section 29 of the Localism Act 2012: The Constitution PDFPart 6 - Register of members interest [PDF 14KB]

List of Streets

A list of streets maintainable at public expense ('adopted').

The Definite Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way

The definitive map and statement form the legal record of public rights of way in Calderdale. The map and statement are available for public inspection at: Halifax Customer First .

Services provided by the Council

A to Z: A guide to Council services

Calderdale Council provides thousands of services across the Borough. For detailed listings, see: A to Z of Council Services .

Service enquiries

Many council services can now be accessed online, see: Do it online .

Alternatively, you can use Live Chat

Or, contact the Council by email or phone:

The Halifax Customer First is based in Halifax and gives you face-to-face access to a dedicated team of customer care advisers.

Council Directorates

Different services and types of Council services are provided and managed by each of our Directorates:


There are services which the Council charges a fee for, see: Fees and charges .


Always open first panel: 


Transparency and Open Data

Calderdale Council wants to be open and transparent by making information available through the Publication Scheme. We also achieve this by publishing data on our Open Data platform: Calderdale Data Works .

As well as the Publication Scheme and Open Data, we publish a wide range of information, making it available to people in a variety of ways. For example, we will continue to make planning applications available for public inspection and produce guides to our services and facilities.

A great deal of the information that we hold as a Council is personal and private to individuals. The Freedom of Information Act does not mean we will be making any of this public. The Data Protection Act gives you the right to see the information we hold about you. Your private affairs and business with the Council, are not the subject of the Publication Scheme.

Most information is available free, but we charge for photocopying or printing. Some publications may also have a charge. We will tell you if charges apply to the information you request.


See also