Data protection

This page explains more about the Data Protection Act 1998 and how you can exercise those rights.

Your rights

  • To ask the Council if it holds personal information about you.
  • To ask what it uses the information for.
  • To be given a copy of the information.
  • To be provided with details of the purposes for which the Council uses the information and to which sections of the Council or other organisations the information is disclosed.
  • Where automated decisions are taken (that is, by computer and not an officer) you have the right to ask about the logic involved in that decision taking.
  • To ask for incorrect data to be corrected.
  • To ask the Authority not to use personal information about you for direct marketing; which is likely to cause damage or distress.
  • To apply to the courts for compensation for damage or distress should these be caused by our failure to comply with certain requirements of the Act.


Requesting Information

You can write to us and ask to see your records. You will need to provide your name and address and any other details that could help us find your information.

Complete the: PDFSubject access request form [PDF 108KB] and return it to:

  • Username Tracie Robinson
  • Address
    Corporate Information Manager
    Calderdale Council
    Town Hall
    HX1 1UJ


To get a copy of your child's school records, apply directly to their school. For school contact details, please see: Search for schools .

For more information on applying to see School records, visit: Information Commissioner's Office .

Schools, Calderdale Council, the Department for Education, and other bodies that process personal data about children and staff are required by the Data Protection Act to issue a Privacy Notice to parents, children, young people and staff to inform them of the purposes of holding the personal data and what it will be used for. Accessing information about your child provides details about the Privacy Notice, what the data is used for, and who uses the data.

Also, see: Your personal records , for information on accessing Adult, Health and Social Care records.


The information

You will be given a copy to keep and check for accuracy. This will either be a printout from the computer or a photocopy of your manual records. However, where there are large volumes of information held, you will be requested to review the information prior to copying.


If the data is incorrect

You must write to the Council and state what data is incorrect and ask for it to be corrected. The Council must tell you what it has done within 21 days of receiving your request. If the Council does not agree that the information is incorrect, you can ask it to record your disagreement on your records.

You can also appeal to the Information Commissioner, or the Courts, if the Council does not correct the information.


If you think you have not been given all of the information you asked for

You can appeal to the Council directly by contacting the complaints officer or you can appeal to the Information Commissioner. The Commissioner's staff will look into the matter on your behalf.


Help in understanding the information

If you need help with the information provided, or the application form, contact us for assistance.


The Data Protection Act 1998

The Data Protection Act is a law that governs the use and release of personal information by organisations (described as Data Controllers in the Act). Calderdale Council is one such organisation. All personal information (described as personal data by the Act) is covered by the legislation.

The Act sets governing principles for the use of all personal information held about living individuals. These are called the Data Protection Principles. The principles state that personal data, shall be:

  • processed fairly and lawfully;
  • processed for limited purposes only;
  • adequate, relevant and not excessive;
  • accurate and where necessary kept up-to-date;
  • kept only as long as is necessary;
  • processed in accordance with the subject’s (individual’s) rights;
  • kept securely;
  • adequately protected, if transferred to other countries.


Calderdale Council will conform to the above principles when handling your personal information.

To see our policy, please read: PDFData Protection Policy [PDF 67KB] (June 2017).