Director: Paul Butcher
The Director of Public Health is the chief source of public health leadership and advice to the Council and the NHS, and works closely with the Director of Adult and Children's Services to improve the health and wellbeing of Calderdale residents.
The key to Improving Health and Wellbeing is to take action to address the determinants of health. This requires close partnership between the functions of the Council as well as with other agencies and we work with organisations such as:
- Department of Health
- Health and Wellbeing Board
- Clinical Commissioning Group
- Public Health England
- Health watch
- Local health and non-health services
- Local businesses
The Council is able to influence many of the determinants of health and so has opportunities to improve Calderdale residents' health and wellbeing.
Public Health Directors Report 2016
Here you can download the Public Health Annual Report 2016.
The report is Paul Butcher’s (Director of Public Health at the Council) independent assessment of the state of health in Calderdale. The report focuses on the first 1000 days of life, the most significant timeframe in a child’s development.
Determinants of health
- Biological (age, sex, genetic inheritance)
- Lifestyle (diet, smoking, exercise)
- Environment (housing, culture, education, work, safety, transport)
- Access to Services
The work includes:
- the development of the Joint Strategic Needs Assessment for Calderdale with the Director of Adults, Health and Social Care and the Director of Children and Young People's Services to identify the health, wellbeing and health care needs of Calderdale.
- leading and supporting programmes to improve health and wellbeing, reduce health inequalities and promote social inclusion. For example programmes to address obesity, smoking, alcohol and Infant mortality.
- working with neighbourhoods and local communities to develop their capability to participate fully in improving their own health.
- supporting to the Emergency Preparedness of Calderdale (e.g. Flu Pandemic).
- providing public health advice to the Council on different aspects of the Council business where health and wellbeing are significant issues.
- Username Director for Public Health
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
PO Box 51