Child performance and entertainment licences

Children and young people who take part in stage shows, broadcasting, filming or other forms of public entertainment, including modelling, will need to be licensed to protect the child's health, education and welfare.

Please return completed forms to the Child Employment and Entertainment Service

Completed applications must be submitted at least 21 days before the date of the proposed performance in order that the necessary procedures may be followed. Applications cannot be issued retrospectively or otherwise backdated.

No licence is required in the following circumstances:

  • No payment is made and the child has not taken part in a performance for more than three days in the previous six months. Please check with the Education Welfare Service
  • No payment is made and the performance is arranged by school authorities.
  • No payment is made and the performance is exempted by the Secretary of State, for example, certain youth organisation shows.


In order to ensure that children are adequately supervised and their welfare protected, the child must be in the charge of a suitable adult during the period of the licence. In some cases, this may be the parent or guardian but in other instances a matron / chaperone will be required. A chaperone, or matron, is someone who is licensed by a local authority to look after children who are working in entertainment.

For more information, please contact the Child Employment and Entertainment Service

See also