House to house collections permit


You can apply for this licence online, there is no charge for the issuing of the permit.



Providing your application falls within the criteria listed you will be granted a house to house collection permit. If the Council refuse to grant your application you will be advised in writing and you then have the right of appeal to the Secretary of State

A house to house collection permit authorises the holder to:

  • collect money
  • collect articles or
  • sell articles

for the benefit of a charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purpose.

Collections take place by visiting house to house or public house to public house, and in a locality.

When applying to the local authority for a permit we will check that the dates you have requested do not clash with any other collections, which may be taking place in the same area

Exemption certificates

Some of the larger well known charities, such as Christian Aid, Help the Aged and Royal British Legion have the benefit of exemption certificates issued by the Home Office. To qualify they have to hold over a certain amount of collections in different areas. The exemption certificate means that they do not have to apply to each individual Local Authority to collect. They can write to a Local Authority and tell them when and where they will be collecting.

The police may grant what is termed a local exemption certificate if they are satisfied that the collection is local in character and will be completed within a short time period.

See also